44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26th December 2010 CE
Dec 27, 2010, 18:07
paradox wrote:
Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail (one of the most Enlgish of records and for me one of the very few worthy to stand next to "Liege & Lief" in that respect. If Phil Collins had only recorded this and "Unorthodox Behaviour" he would probably be hailed as a percussion genius rather than reviled as an MOR sinner. When you get past the Charterhouse thing and consider the fact that they were so big in industrial cities, here and in America, and generally reviled by the inteligentsia that to me speaks volumes as to their core integrity. Some audiences you just can't fool)

Spot on Ian!

I have long been an advocate for A Trick Of The Tail, to which my "strictly Gabriel era" mates dismiss with aplomb.

To my ears, It's perfect.
Great songs, great playing and absolutely no filler.
Every song a killer!
Quite possibly, my most played Genesis Album.

I am glad I am not alone! Apparently it is now the hardest to find of the Hybrid SACD / PAL DVD reissues from 2008. Which I guess means more people bought that one than any of the others. The Lamb / AToTT / W&W / Seconds Out era was so strong it beggars belief that people advocate a strong preferance for the Gabriel stuff. Although the lyrics and vocal melodies are mainly Gabriel's I hear Lamb as effectively the first post Gabriel record as the music on that one seems to be far beyond what they were doing on Foxtrot and Selling England and to have more in common with Trick in particular. As a four piece there was a perfect balance between the Collins / Hackett side and the Banks / Rutherford side. Before and after not so much.

Have you heard the "Wuthering Lights" Dallas bootleg from '77? Well worth searching out.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index