44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 27, 2010, 11:27
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26th December 2010 CE
Dec 27, 2010, 11:17
There are long days with this blasted flu where almost everything sounds terrible but these records made everything seem a bit better

Translinear Light - Alice Coltrane (I could happily listen to "Walk With Me" on repeat for a very long time)

Ronnie Laws - Pressure Sensitive (a pre punk jazz-funk fusion favourite - great pithy playing, short tunes and nothing descends into hell of Bob James / Dave Sanborn blandery. If you used to listen to Invicta in the early 80s and collect StreetSounds lps then you are in the right area)

The Dramatics - Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get (my favourite 45 by a league and a mile)

Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail (one of the most Enlgish of records and for me one of the very few worthy to stand next to "Liege & Lief" in that respect. If Phil Collins had only recorded this and "Unorthodox Behaviour" he would probably be hailed as a percussion genius rather than reviled as an MOR sinner. When you get past the Charterhouse thing and consider the fact that they were so big in industrial cities, here and in America, and generally reviled by the inteligentsia that to me speaks volumes as to their core integrity. Some audiences you just can't fool)

Teena Marie - Since Day One (the 1990 omeback record produced by Soul II Soul that didn't crossover)

Rory Gallagher - Calling Card (one of his strongest and most varied studio efforts and the live shows around this period were genius)

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Urban Bushmen (the best band I ever had the privilege to see live)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index