Zariadris
286 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 22 August 2010 CE
Aug 24, 2010, 19:11
Sin Agog wrote:
Zariadris wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
[quote="Dog 3000"][quote="mingtp"]

EDIT: Here's my never-ever-to-be-reissued ultra-rare super-psychedelic find of the week: First Chips - Volume One. Mutant gonzo garage psyche pop at its finest, from '72.

Dude, thanks a ton for unearthing this. There are moments of strange beauty here, my favorite being the sparse, haunting String Band-like Me & My Lady, which seems to float in the same shadowy sound-space as Sand's Golem. A rare comparison, and a high compliment.

One of those mystifying, confidently self-realized lost albums, free of any simple category, that seem to gather strength from oblivion; their very obscurity seems conceptual.

You know an album's great when it inspires posts as poetic as this one. It was a private press release (best one I've heard for sure) and one of the tracks dates as early as '64! I can see the Golem comparison. They both sound like their own self-contained worlds- and they're both great albums (although it'll take a lot for anything to top Golem for me).

The man behind First Chips, Vyto B, also did a slightly less out there album a couple of years later called Tricentennial 2076. Think an acid-fried Dr. John or something. No fuzz guitar workouts on that one, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm really glad First Chips worked for you! And I see what you mean about those obscure gems. Those guys were free to stumble across whole new sounds without an EMI sound engineer constantly telling them, "What on Earth are you doing? You can't do that!"

Hey, thank you again for putting this out there. I'll have to seek out Tricentennial 2076. Acid-fried Dr. John sure works for me.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index