Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2010, 09:01
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 22 August 2010 CE
Aug 23, 2010, 08:27
El Trío De Omar Rodríguez-López "Ciencia De Los Inútiles"

Can't recommend this highly enough. Think in terms of a collaboration between an acoustic McLaughlin trio and Astrid Gilberto. Light and airy but challenging too. No kind of wallpaper and at under 40 minutes does not outstay its own ideas (like a good album should). Apart from Omar Rodríguez-López on guitars, Ximena Sariñana Rivera sings and plays piano, Aaron Cruz Bravo plays double bass. Rivera is just stunning. Will have to check her work out further. Anyone who has the confidence to call her own album "Mediocre" is alright with me. Other reference points would be the vocal tracks on Ornette's "Science Fiction" and the 70s David Murray record "Interboogieology" on Black Saint with the Portuguese singer whose name I forget. For non jazzers anyone with a taste for Hope Sandoval would get this I think.

It is early days still but I have long thought that Omar Rodriguez has the potential to be the Miles Davis of the rock guitar in terms of his use of space, fewer notes and sculptural phrasing. If he keeps working with people who are going to stretch him then there is no reason why not. Last time I saw TMV there was definitely a feeling in the ether that he is outgrowing the prog-metal format and that it just encourages him to over-play his hand.

Black Crowes "Croweology"

Still sounds like the best "classic rock" record of recent times.

Tortoise "Millions Now Living Will Never Die"
Elbow "Leaders Of The Free World"
Elbow "The Seldom Seen Kid"
Bryan Ferry "Lets Stick Together"
Ween "La Cucaracha"
Wishbone Ash - s/t
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index