Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 22 August 2010 CE

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 22 August 2010 CE
Aug 24, 2010, 09:56
Spent a week in a country cottage on the North Downs, so my week's listening was largely tailored to my pastoral environment.

The Coral - Butterfly House (an improvement on the bland 'Roots & Echoes' but much of it still sounds more solid than inspired, although the bonus disc has some pleasingly eerie material)

Simian - Watch It Glow (the mini album which suggested an incredible promise that the two patchy albums only partially fulfilled)

The Heavy Blinkers - The Heavy Blinkers (from an era when every third album ripped off The Beach Boys, this is one of my favourites in this particular genre)

The Wicker Man - OST (Trunk Records version) (my all-time favourite pagan movie musical; this music/effects LP makes for a great listening experience, especially out in the English countryside)

Traffic - Mr Fantasy (this was an obvious album to take to a rural retreat)

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (another album I can't be without when retreating into the countryside; Vashti's quiet songs given perfect accompaniment by the Joe Boyd all-stars make this a folk album like no other)

The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile (is this the least commercial album ever released by a major band?)

Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like A Peasant (lightweight but strangely satisfying; see my Unsung review)

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (more bucolic delights; also gave his demo version a first play, an intriguingly exact template for the more orchestrated LP)

His Name Is Alive - Stars On ESP (soundtracking my summer for a 15th year; a collection of lovingly-detailed home recordings with a dreamy, summery vibe, with all the intros and outros chopped out so that it becomes one long medley. 'The Faust Tapes' for sunbathing to)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index