Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 8 August 2010 CE

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 8 August 2010 CE
Aug 09, 2010, 00:15
The Beach Boys - Little Deuce Coupe (Realised I somehow skipped this in my chronological run through my Beach Boys vinyl, which is odd since I'd only just replaced my existing copy which was so warped the needle literal bounced off the record during each rotation. Never mind, it is also out of sequence in Capitol's CD reissue programme, released as a twofer with):
The Beach Boys - All Summer Long (Can't beat 'I Get Around' as an opening track, but the lesser known 'Don't Back Down' is a little gem of a closer)

The Coral - The Coral (Have yet to purchase their new one, mainly because the preferred vinyl is so damned expensive. This debut album is still hugely entertaining; its occasional faults can be put down to mere youthful exuberance)

Pink Floyd - Animals (This has never really been a favourite, but it grows on me more with each listen)

Mr Fox - The Gypsy (Opening track 'Mendle' is the highlight: space rock meets folk)

Magna Carta - Seasons (Picked up a horribly packaged double CD containing 4 of their albums for just £1.50 in a local charity shop. This first album on the set sounds like Simon & Garfunkel with the winsomeness turned up to 11, but I quite liked it anyway)

Chas & Dave - Rockney (Couldn't resist buying this on vinyl just for its great sleeve - anyone else remember the 'Please Let The Bus Go First' posters you used to see on the backs of London buses? Some surprisingly understated country moments on this generally enjoyable album)

OST - Picnic At Hanging Rock (Downloadable bootleg collecting together the haunting music used in this always devastating film. Georghe Zamfir's panpipes sit alongside beautiful pieces by Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Bach, plus Australian film composer Bruce Smeaton ripping off Hawkwind)

Yes - Fragile (An odd mixture of classics and filler, but great fun all the way)

Silvery - Railway Architecture (Its gratifying to see a friend's band finally getting somewhere. Since 2001 I've watched as my pal James Orman has taken his band through myriad line-up changes and then suddenly get a record deal and rave reviews. And now they are on to album number two. Anyone who fancies the idea of Cardiacs meeting Sparks with a dash of Gilbert & Sullivan should definitely give this a try)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index