2386 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2010, 14:45
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 8 August 2010 CE
Aug 07, 2010, 23:51
The Mothers Of Invention : Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band : Trout Mask Replica

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band : Bat Chain Puller

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band : Doc At The Radar Station

Bunny Wailer : Rock 'n' Groove (original JA vinyl)

Grateful Dead : 5-8-77

Grateful Dead : 5-28-77

Quicksilver Messenger Service : first

Crosby , Stills & Nash

Conrad Schnitzler : Gold

Sun Ra : The Antique Blacks

Tangerine Dream : Exit

The Mothers : Freak Out!

Neil Young : After The Gold Rush
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 8 August 2010 CE
Aug 08, 2010, 00:55
Just listened to Mahavisnu Orchestra: Birds of Fire -- kind of an odd record for my first real exposure to this band. Dunno if I like it really.

ELP: Pictures at an Exhibition -- lots of off-the-wall synth on this and a bit better than the other albums I've heard from them...

Danny Saul: Harsh, Final. -- one of the records I had to review, but this one particularly stood out with it's clear production with some dirty/glitchy (for want of a better term) sounds in the mix. Probably the best thing I've heard from Manchester in a long time.

And the promo for Birch Book: Hand Full of Days. B'ee from In Gowan Ring is still at it and still making quality folk music. Will be my next review on Musique Machine.

And I tried listening to Art of Noise on vinyl but the pressing was bad and kept skipping, which is no good for this kind of music...
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2010, 01:22
Aug 08, 2010, 01:21
Prolapse - The Italian Flag
The Abysinnians - Satta Masa Gana
Ijahman- Haile I Hymn
Liliental - S/T
José Afonso - Cantigas do Maio
Fabio Frizzi - The Beyond score
Banda Do Casaco - Hoje Há Conquilhas, Amanhã Não Sabemos
Baden Powell & Vinícius de Moraes - Os Afro-Sambas
World's End Girlfriend - The Lie Lay Land
Dadamah - This Is Not a Dream (1992)
This Heat - Out of Cold Storage (Did a pretty comprehensive write-up on This Heat-related bands/side-projects/similar bands to check out here: After The Heat)
Fishmans - Uchu Nippon Satagaya
Robert Mitchum - Calypso... Is Like So
Aluk Todolo - Aluk Todolo ep
Krzysztof Komeda - Astigmatic
Thomas Tallis - Spem in Alium
Talulah Gosh - Backwash
Brainticket - Psychonaut
Prince Rama of Ayodhya - Zetland
Lord Buckley - His Royal Hipness
Ivor Cutler - Dandruff
Laddio Bolocko - The Life & Times of Laddio Bolocko
Five
Five
960 posts

Aug 08, 2010, 01:54
Solus3 ... the sky above the roof

Acid Mothers Temple ... crystal rainbow pyramid under the stars

Earth ... radio/live, hex, pentastar

Boris ... rainbow

Neil Young ... american stars and bars

John Norwood ... music from the motion picture "awesome" (still in the mixing stage, but very nearly done)

Ghost ... hypnotic underworld

Miles Davis ... isle of wight (call it anything)
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 08, 2010, 03:17
Miles Davis/ In a Silent Way

Pharoah Overlord/ Siluurikaudella. (Brand new PO and it's a major letdown. Gone are the motorik beats and monster grooves.)

Ampbuzz/ This is My

Expo 70/ Death Voyage

VA/ Hall of Mirrors

Iron Man/ I Have Returned (on my son's recommendation... decent Sabbath worship)

David Szczesny/ In Between EP

Cain/ A Pound of Flesh (cool mid-70s American Midwest rawk in league with Cheap Trick, Styx etc but less well known)

Primevil/ Smokin' Bats at Campton's

Leeches of Lore/ ST

Boris/ Akuma no Uta

Lifelover/ Dekadens

Ancient Grease/ Women and Children First

Possessed/ Exploration

Neil Merryweather/ Kryptonite

Primordial Undermind/ Loss of Affect

Endless Boogie/ Full House Head

Uran/ ST

Greg Ashley/ Requiem Mass & Other Experiments

VA/ Berliner Ring Vol. 1

Hypnos 69/ Timeline Traveller

Ravjunk/ Uppsala Stadshotell Brinner

Carlton Melton/ Pass it On

Boris with Michio Kurihara/ Rainbow

Okta Logue/ Ballads of a Burden

...and finally a CD-R I had to have from a "one man black metal band" called Pandiscordian Necrogenesis entitled Cerebral Quasaric Lacerations. Two things cool about this hand-numbered disc. One, apparently unlike many one man black metal bands this guy is capable of playing live. He has drums rigged up to play with his feet and he sings and plays guitar as his feet channel his inner Neil Peart. And the other cool thing... well cool to some and perhaps less so to others is that the cd sleeve has been painted in blood. The main design is silkscreened but the background is a brownish red color and is quite clearly blood. Of what I haven't a clue. It does smell a bit odd...
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2010, 11:49
Aug 08, 2010, 09:45
Inspired by Rust Phimister's excellent review, I dug out Yoko Ono's awesomely out there and way ahead of its time 'Plastic Ono Band' album, and was wowed, jarred and fascinated by it more than ever before. Far from easy listening it may be, but Yoko shakes you into submission on this record. And what a band she has in Lennon, Starr and Voormann: Lennon himself revealing a highly distinctive guitar style atop a rhythm section so tight it's healed up. 'Metal Box' sounds like parody next to this;

King Crimson 'Earthbound' - another of Rust's bang-on reviews led me to this low-fi gem. Rust rightly makes much issue of the primitive sound, but that's the whole point of 'Earthbound' for me, and why it stands out over so many bright, shiny and bland live recordings of the period. There are a couple of tracks here that leave rock completely behind for jazz - 'Peoria', the central section of an otherwise incendiary 'Schizoid Man', and 'Earthbound' being more akin to the Average White Band than anything remotely Crimsonesque - but when they rock, as in the sadly brief 'Sailor's Tale' and the 15 minute 'Groon', they pin you to the wall, and any reservations about sound quality are forgotten;

Wishbone Ash 'Number The Brave' - forgotten Ash gem from the short-lived line up featuring John Wetton on bass. The title track is a classic;

Tyrannosaurus Rex 'Unicorn' - Bolan's finest hour: an album dripping with simple charm and joy, not to mention some delightful tunes. This has floated my boat since late childhood and is one of those "can't live without" records;

George Harrison 'Living In The Material World' - the mood is reflective and morose in places, but the compositional skills are high. 'That Is All' might just be my favourite ever Harrisong;

Jean Jacques Burnel 'Euroman Cometh' - strange, largely self-performed solo release from Stranglers bassist, sounding like little else from his usual band, or anyone else for that matter;

Jazz spins: Dave Brubeck Quartet 'Jazz Impressions Of USA' and 'Time Changes'; Charlie Parker 'Live At Massey Hall'; Miles Davis 'In Berlin', Maynard Ferguson 'Alive And Well In London' and Mal Waldron 'Free At Last'

Classical spins: Mahler 1 (two versions: Concertgebouw/Haitink and BRSO/Kubelik); Mahler 9 (Chicago SO/Solti); Strauss Metamophosen (VPO/Karajan - superb pioneering recording from 1946); Beethoven 4 (Furtwaengler's long unavailable 1950 studio recording, now out on Naxos) and Beethoven 9 (Karajan's 1962 BPO recording). All good stuff.

Have a good week, everybody.

Dave
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Aug 08, 2010, 10:35
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Bonnie Prince Billy & the Cairo Gang - The Wonder Show of the World
Nina Nastasia - On Leaving
Emeralds - Does it Look Like I'm Here?
Sun Araw - On Patrol
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Rising Sons
Modified Toy Orchestra - Toy Go Pop
Demdike Stare - Forest of Evil
Frank Sidebottom - 5.9.88
Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies
v/a - Pebbles Box
v/a - Lux & Ivy's Favourites Vol.5
Shack - The Corner of Miles & Gil
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
v/a - Norman Jay Presents Philadelphia
Rowland S Howard - Pop Crimes
Leyland Kirby - Sadly the Future is No Longer What it Was
Jim O'Rourke - The Visitor
The Congos - Heart of the Congos
v/a - Black Mirror
Screaming Trees - Invisible Lantern
Peter Gabriel - "
Roxy Music - Manifesto
The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter
v/a - Jammys From the Roots
Human League - Dare
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Elvis Presley - Back in Memphis
John Coltrane & Thelonious Monk - The Complete Studio Recordings
Tindersticks - Falling Down a Mountain
Sugar - Copper Blue
Henry Flynt - Back Porch Hillbilly Blues Vol.1
Elvis Costello - Trust
Velvet Underground - & Nico
v/a - Deutsche Elektonische Musik
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2010, 12:18
Aug 08, 2010, 11:33
Black Crowes, Croweology - the greatest active trad rock n roll band in the world say farewell (again) with a newly recorded two disc unplugged hits 'n' live favourites set. They do the The-Band-meets-The-Faces thing so effortlessly and there are some great extended Deadesque improv wig outs. If a Big Pink / Exile / Ooh La La / American Beauty melange is up your alley then I strongly recommend this and the last two studio albums. The last two tours were as good a representation of raw, rustic, rock n roll as anytyhing I have ever witnessed and this is a good snapshot of what made those shows so great. Older, wiser, better and more themselves than the Brit Blues Rock Invasion xerox they started with.

Rush, Beyond The Lighted Stage - not for everyone, that's for sure, but this movie length documentary is as good as a one-stop introduction to Rush as you are going to get. Structurally and stylistically it is a little like the other side of the "Story Of Anvil" coin. There is a little too much time spent on the 80s Toto stuff for my taste but the 70s and the recent return to top form are really nicely done. That said if Geddy's voice (the closest thing on Planet Rock earth to aural Marmite) is a problem for you then this isn't going to get you over that hump. It might still make you appreciate Alex Lifeson's Howe-meets-Page guitar genius.

Broken Social Scene (four albums) - a belated discovery for me but am pretty thrilled with what I am hearing. It's a bit like an imaginery act that takes the the good bits of the Flaming Lips and Sean Lennon and has them interpreted by Jason Pierce. Which is fine with me.

Raised By Swans (two albums) - another Ontario band (I've just got back from a few days work in Canada) a bit shoegazey but moments of rare electric guitar driven beauty.

TMV, De-Loused In The Comatorium - still a record of enormous power and imagination. Like Rush, I think people are starting to take this lot for granted and I get the feeling they will have to split up to get anything like their due critical plaudits. Even from prog fans. With something like 20 official TMV and Omar releases since 2003 maybe you can make too many records?
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2010, 14:01
Aug 08, 2010, 12:57
CRIPPLE CROW - Devendra Banhard
ABBEY ROAD - The Beatles
HOME AGAIN - Edwyn Collins
TWO SEVEN'S CLASH - Culture
MIRACLE KICKER - Dark Captain Light Captain
HIPS & MAKERS - Kristin Hersh
DANCE TO THE MUSIC - Sly & the Family Stone