31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2010, 12:18
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 8 August 2010 CE
Aug 08, 2010, 11:33
Black Crowes, Croweology - the greatest active trad rock n roll band in the world say farewell (again) with a newly recorded two disc unplugged hits 'n' live favourites set. They do the The-Band-meets-The-Faces thing so effortlessly and there are some great extended Deadesque improv wig outs. If a Big Pink / Exile / Ooh La La / American Beauty melange is up your alley then I strongly recommend this and the last two studio albums. The last two tours were as good a representation of raw, rustic, rock n roll as anytyhing I have ever witnessed and this is a good snapshot of what made those shows so great. Older, wiser, better and more themselves than the Brit Blues Rock Invasion xerox they started with.

Rush, Beyond The Lighted Stage - not for everyone, that's for sure, but this movie length documentary is as good as a one-stop introduction to Rush as you are going to get. Structurally and stylistically it is a little like the other side of the "Story Of Anvil" coin. There is a little too much time spent on the 80s Toto stuff for my taste but the 70s and the recent return to top form are really nicely done. That said if Geddy's voice (the closest thing on Planet Rock earth to aural Marmite) is a problem for you then this isn't going to get you over that hump. It might still make you appreciate Alex Lifeson's Howe-meets-Page guitar genius.

Broken Social Scene (four albums) - a belated discovery for me but am pretty thrilled with what I am hearing. It's a bit like an imaginery act that takes the the good bits of the Flaming Lips and Sean Lennon and has them interpreted by Jason Pierce. Which is fine with me.

Raised By Swans (two albums) - another Ontario band (I've just got back from a few days work in Canada) a bit shoegazey but moments of rare electric guitar driven beauty.

TMV, De-Loused In The Comatorium - still a record of enormous power and imagination. Like Rush, I think people are starting to take this lot for granted and I get the feeling they will have to split up to get anything like their due critical plaudits. Even from prog fans. With something like 20 official TMV and Omar releases since 2003 maybe you can make too many records?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index