Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Aug 05, 2010, 17:09
Re: Your Favorite Decade?
Aug 05, 2010, 17:07
That's easy. Being the decade that held all of my impressionable teenage years, the 70's.

I started that decade (aged nine) with the paternally-influenced opinion that classical music was where it was at, although I loved the odd Elvis, Beatles, Beach Boys and Stones singles that family friends and relatives had in their record collections.

Then came Rod, Elton, Bolan, Ferry and Bowie and it was bye bye Beethoven. Prog, Canterbury, Kraut, pub rock, punk, new wave, Two Tone, post-punk and even a bit of NWOBHM and Oi provided equal distraction in the following years. Then Cope, The Smiths and Weddoes aside, the whole pop/rock scene got suddenly stagnant and Beethoven came back into my life. I thank the dire 80's from the bottom of my heart for that.

Thus it's remained, aside from a brief, thrash and Madchester-inspired spell in the late 80's/early 90's when my curiosity and keenness returned. Alas, not much from those days has remained in my affections. But everything - and more - that I used to dig in the 70's still tickles my heart and eardrums.
dee
1955 posts

Aug 05, 2010, 17:18
70's..deffo!
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Aug 05, 2010, 17:29
Would never commit myself to answer with any conviction.

Would have to do some meta statistical-analysis and graffs and stuff which would render the whole abandon of my listening experience redundant.

Am enjoying the recent evaluation of the 80s though.

Other than that, all over the shop really.

:-)

x
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Aug 05, 2010, 17:41
As somebody who's just about to leave one decade for another, far less certain one, this weekend - I would have to say the most recent; the 'noughties' (or whatever they're called). Mainly for musical reasons, as I've discovered some fantastic artistes and genres. Many, of course, had been out there for ages before I was ready for them. And many had emerged as sub-genres in that decade.

Those years also represents a period where I'd gotten back into playing again. This time, however, I was coming at it all from a totally different direction.

It was also from the year 2000 that things, sort of, fell into place for me on a more personal level. Worryingly, much of it looks less stable as I leave the decade, though.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 05, 2010, 18:22
all over the place across recording history I think.
Keep getting some 30s or 40s Bob wills coming on the walkman most deliciously, the segueing into 80s or 90s Sonic Youth, 60s Coltrane or Cecil Taylor, into 50s rockabilly or something.

Do like 60s psych & the wilder edges of 70s prog. 80s alternate stuff like Birthday Party or Gun Club plus hardcore & noise. 90s similar & 00s reinvestigators of 60s & 70s influences.

40s jump blues & country especially hillbilly boogie & western swing. Bebop etc. Keeping the palette wide's a good thing innit.
Stevo
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Aug 05, 2010, 18:29
Stevo wrote:
all over the place across recording history I think.
Keep getting some 30s or 40s Bob wills coming on the walkman most deliciously, the segueing into 80s or 90s Sonic Youth, 60s Coltrane or Cecil Taylor, into 50s rockabilly or something.

Do like 60s psych & the wilder edges of 70s prog. 80s alternate stuff like Birthday Party or Gun Club plus hardcore & noise. 90s similar & 00s reinvestigators of 60s & 70s influences.

40s jump blues & country especially hillbilly boogie & western swing. Bebop etc. Keeping the palette wide's a good thing innit.
Stevo

agreed, it is a great stew
PoorButLoyal
PoorButLoyal
28 posts

Aug 05, 2010, 18:53
The 60s? Started in about 1963 and ended around 73 didn't they.

I'd say the stuff I like best was late 70s / early 80s...punk, ska, disco, post punk, early 80s alternative.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Aug 05, 2010, 19:32
70s (but extending back into the late 60s) and 00s.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Aug 05, 2010, 20:48
Aug 05, 2010, 20:47
I will give it up for the 1950's -- "modern" jazz & Stockhausen & beat poetry & rockabilly & Scifi theremins -- but the 1940's not so much.

Bebop (c. 1946) was a necessary development but hasn't dated well. Swing and Bing and all that is even more moldy. But I confess I don't know much about the "rural" musics of that era (maybe it was a golden age for country -- when was Hank The First active again?)

The late 1920's into the 1930's was also a better era, with Fats and Duke and Armstrong and all those guys at the top of their game (alcohol prohibition was the golden age of jazz.) WW2 years bred a certain homogenization and conservatism -- The Andrews Sisters were the biggest thing then, you know?
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 04:31
The 2010's....gotta keep moving, brothers. Still far too much interesting stuff coming out now to spend too much time bathing in the past, no matter how comfortable it may seem.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index