Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Your Favorite Decade?
Aug 06, 2010, 05:26
vince wrote:
The 2010's....gotta keep moving, brothers. Still far too much interesting stuff coming out now to spend too much time bathing in the past, no matter how comfortable it may seem.

as a Bowie man in Skynyrd country you gotta do what...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 06:23
vince wrote:
The 2010's....gotta keep moving, brothers. Still far too much interesting stuff coming out now to spend too much time bathing in the past, no matter how comfortable it may seem.

Well whatever. The records I've had to review so far this year weren't even half bad... I'm just frustrated by the bulk of really bad music that still exists today.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 14:36
Lawrence wrote:
vince wrote:

Well whatever. The records I've had to review so far this year weren't even half bad... I'm just frustrated by the bulk of really bad music that still exists today.

But isn't that always the case? I think it's a myth that there's more bad music around now than before...folk were saying that in the 70's, 80's and 90's too...there's always bad, always good.

I'm not dissing older music...note I said "too much" time...just that i'm more interested in where music is going rather than where it's been (although the former cannot exist without the latter).

Believe me, there is nothing new coming out of Skynyryd country.The last thing this place gave the world was Limp Bizkit. Need I say more?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2010, 20:21
Aug 06, 2010, 20:15
I do a lot of "reviewing" new music via the radio station, in the sense of "quickly checking out" not "writing an article." Finding good stuff is like finding needles in a haystack, but it's a biiiig haystack!

There's just a lot more records these days, period. I'm sure 99% of them are junk from any particular person's standpoint, but was it every anyone's goal to hear EVERY album released in a year?

Maybe a few thousand albums a year coming out in the 1960's, I'm sure today the number is well over a million a year (maybe several million if you include all the "bedroom artists" who self-release.)

But if 1% of a million records are good, that's 10,000 good albums in a year! More than the sum total of all albums good & bad released per year in decades past.

I can definitely believe that the 2010's decade may turn out to be one of the best . . . if you filter out all the "teenage ringtone crap."
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2010, 21:24
Aug 06, 2010, 21:23
NARM stats show 2 percent of releases made up 91 percent of sales from the 98000 releases of 2009.

What is even more of a concern, only 2.1% of releases managed to sell more than 5000 units.

The NARM conference also showed that people still buy the physical disc when it comes to purchasing an album. In the USA last year, 75% of albums sold were on CD.

The study also found that the older the purchasers, the more likely they were to buy a CD. Susan Boyle’s ‘I Dreamed A Dream’ album sold 90.5% on CD.

It also points out that the industry may also be spending too much time focused on the wrong demographic. Purchasing power for music is in the wallets of the older generation. Susan Boyle sold more records last year in the USA than Lady Gaga.

Vinyl is making a comeback. 2.8 million albums sold as vinyl releases last year and 75% of those sales came from independent retailers.

The study found that “fresh artists are staring at a near-zero chance of selling even modest amounts”.ind these statistics don't account for any release prior to 2009. (MC)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Aug 07, 2010, 00:17
zphage wrote:
Susan Boyle sold more records last year in the USA than Lady Gaga.

That really cracks me up!

zphage wrote:
Vinyl is making a comeback. 2.8 million albums sold as vinyl releases last year and 75% of those sales came from independent retailers.

Only a couple decades ago their were single albums that sold 10 million copies a year in the US alone. Sales are waaaaaay down. There are no more big hits like your "Frampton Comes Alive" or even "Whatever Blind Melon's Hit Album Was Called".

I think the "music artists" who make the big bucks these days are the ones who do endorsement & merchandising deals, "record sales" are just not a very important part of the picture. (Gaga probably still made more money than Susan Boyle.)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 07, 2010, 03:24
Of course I remember back in the 80s when I was musical director for a very small college radio station that wasn't broadcast -- just pumped through a P.A. in the central hall. Anyways I remember having to listen to loads of crap music and having to send stupid letters to record companies and stuff. It wasn't fun to do and I don't think I did a good job either...

Of course with my current stint as a music critic I just get sent records in the mail and have to send one review a week. I dunno if I have to review all of them -- I may not for all I know. But it's certainly not as bad as trying to pick records to play in a format. And the records I get sent now are usually non-mainstream, so... It might not protect me from some bad records (the worst of the lot seem to be mostly middling ambient/post-rock stuff or preposterous field recordings...)
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Aug 07, 2010, 05:12
Dog 3000 wrote:
zphage wrote:
Susan Boyle sold more records last year in the USA than Lady Gaga.

That really cracks me up!

zphage wrote:

Only a couple decades ago their were single albums that sold 10 million copies a year in the US alone. Sales are waaaaaay down. There are no more big hits like your "Frampton Comes Alive" or even "Whatever Blind Melon's Hit Album Was Called".

I think the "music artists" who make the big bucks these days are the ones who do endorsement & merchandising deals, "record sales" are just not a very important part of the picture. (Gaga probably still made more money than Susan Boyle.)

also 80% of Susan Boyle's sales were thru non traditional outlets: Walgreens, CVS, supermarkets, gas stations/stopnshop, etc., not music stores.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index