Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: I Hate Lynn Truss
Aug 01, 2010, 22:07
Once may be enough :)

Just got a new car, and with the car industry being so bang up to date, the CD player in it plays MP3s.

So I grabbed one of my old mp3 disks at random and that's what I've been listening to. It's mainly Elvis Costello demoes, but has a smattering of unexpected tracks, like the Teardrops' French version of Treason, and about 3 different versions of a song called PLain Sailing by Tracey Thorn, of Everything But the Girl.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 August 2010 CE
Aug 01, 2010, 22:44
I love ol' Swamp Dogg! Many years ago - say 1981 - I scooped his album "Classified 1A" out of the cutout bin of a record store in Savannah, Georgia and wad floored by the genius of the man. Some classic tracks still play in my head even though I haven't heard the album in 20 years. Surfin' in Harlem is another gem.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 00:01
redfish365 wrote:
I love ol' Swamp Dogg! Many years ago - say 1981 - I scooped his album "Classified 1A" out of the cutout bin of a record store in Savannah, Georgia and wad floored by the genius of the man. Some classic tracks still play in my head even though I haven't heard the album in 20 years. Surfin' in Harlem is another gem.

I think the one I've got is his first one, Total Destruction to Your Mind. His liner notes are pretty classic: "I owe all my present success to a very dear person, someone who stuck by me when things were really bad, and has never made a motion to harm me or my talents in any way. A person whom I love, worship and admire beyond and shadow of a doubt - ME!!" I just wish psychedelic soul was a bigger genre. I've found a few headcases worth listening to, but not as many as I'd like.

Thanks for the story. I was pretty psyched to find out he was still playing when I searched for that youtube clip earlier and found this live performance from earlier this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx6XdxKEPzY
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 01:02
What struck me about him and caused him to stick out was his lyrics. Often funny, occasionally biting, almost always about social issues of the day. His voice too, higher pitched than you'd guess by looking at him, is special. A couple of my favorite tracks are Mama's Baby, Daddy's Maybe and Ebony and Jet.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 10:18
Deep Purple – Fireball sadly overlooked coming between In Rock & Machinehead & not featuring on Made In Japan much, always been my fave Gillan era studio LP, maybe as much to do with it not having superior live versions of all the songs available elsewhere, full marks to Deep Purple remaster folk as well, this is how it should be done

Bong – Roadburn 2010 top listen, only way I could fault this is by saying the real live experience is better

Current 93 – Thunder Perfect Mind the general consensus is that this is C93s best wyrdfolke album, can’t say I agree , it’s good but imho not the best

Slomo – The Bog dddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnneeeeeebeast

Black Sabbath – Master Of Reality another fantastic remaster, but it would be pretty hard to fuck up perfection .

Primal Scream – Vanishing Point looking forward to the VP 25th anniversary show, along with Echodek this is one of the Primals many peaks

Mazzy Star – Amongst My Swan much s I love Mazzy Star they probably did well to break up when they did, as good as this is it doesn’t add to the blueprint at all

Manic street Preachers – Everything Must Go really enjoyed listening to this again after sitting on the shelf for many a year, was thinking of getting rid of it but it has been saved for another 5 years

Mountain – Twin Peaks 30 mins of the weekend world theme, guitar solos a gogo, fuzz bass ploughing holes thru the bowels, if you don’t like this you probably have some taste & decency. Taste & decency is however denying you hours of fun as you listen to the wonderfully named Felix Pepparlardi try to be play like Jack Bruce with mittens on and laugh at the fact that requiring some Big Guitar for the Who’s Next demos Pete Townshend phoned up Leslie West to make some HUGE choons HUGER

Diamond Head – Death & Progression DH go Bon Jovi, some decent tunes in here but it’s a bit failed NWOBHM band clutch at straws

Cheap Trick – At The Budokan only Cheap Trick you need IMHO, but not a bum note here

Elvis Costello – GirlsGirlsGirls disappointingly not an Elvis Motley Crue tribute, but piled high with some spiffingly good tunes

AC/DC – If You Want Blood You’ve Got It, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap,Back In Black heard Brian Johnson on the radio and he seems like a lovely bloke, shame his AC/DC lps are uniformly crap, dug out BIB to double check, still a highly polished turd

The very Bestest DooWop Classics ever times two in a drunken fit I decided that 2 3cd volumes of DooWop at 1.99 each were a good idea, and truth be told they are extremely good, it’s just the fact that 6cds is just too much of a good thing, luckily I didn’t plump for the early RnR vols I had my eye on as well or this weeks listening could well have been songs from 1952-62. I also have a hankering for The Carpenters Greatest hits, I think I’m getting old

The Cult – Love Mrs Elf likes this , so it gets played when she is about

This Mortal Coil –It’ll End In Tears luckily I can listen to this without being reminded of Song To The siren being involved in the technicolour yawn scene in the film of Them Lovely Bones, weird [but not in a good way] film, lovely LP, also listened to Filigree & Shadow [ is that what it’s called] which again is excellent and far enough removed from the 80s to become timeless rather than reeking of last years production value, also listened to Sign O’ The Times and Parade by Prince which again now sound as good as they did when they were released rather than a record recorded 8 years ago, I wonder if one day Nickel back will sound good rather than turn of the century rockplop [ see also Shania Twain, Def Leppard]

Butthole Surfers – Double Live on the production value scale this comes in at about minus 3, still a must listen lp though and the only Buttholes record I have as I never really liked the others I heard

Fields Of The Nephelim – been on a gothtrip with Carl & the flour pot boys, something very nice about the Nephelim, a kind of simple Pomp and a nice attention to detail, not everyones cup of hemlock I’ll admit but a lesson in how to execute an idea with a bit of class imho, and they have a HM branch [The Nefilim] which may not be very classy but it far superior to pretending that you really like the techno remix someone has made of your album

Must go I can hear the mystic wailing of Cthulu as the Sumerian street corner vocals calling me to my doom
Shh boom diddly boom,shiddly diddly biddly shboombdoom b’;doom I dream only of Youuuuuuuuuu, Cthuluuuuuuuuuuuu.
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 11:56
Opportunities for putting on records have been a bit limited this week, but I managed the following:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (this may sound like heresy to some, but isn't 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' padded out by big chunks of uninspired noodling?)

Traffic - When The Eagle Flies (I like the mood of this album, even if the songs themselves are generally less memorable than on the early albums)

Madness - Keep Moving (their most underrated album; it features some of the band's finest examples of slightly twisted songwriting plus 'Victoria Gardens', the classic single that never was)

Yes - The Yes Album (even their detractors have got to admit that 'Starship Trooper' is a marvellously constructed epic)

The Nice - The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack (only just got round to checking out this album after seeing ELP conclude their great set at High Voltage with 'Rondo', complete with Keith Emerson attacking the Hammond Organ with knives before pushing it over.

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsk6ZnkmvTA )
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Aug 02, 2010, 14:52
Aug 02, 2010, 14:44
In-car entertainment...

CARIBOU - Swim

DAVID HOLMES - Bow Down To The Exit Sign

DEATH IN VEGAS - Satan's Circus

WALLS - s/t

At home...

HIGH WOLF - Ascension - More quality shit from Not Not Fun

ETERNAL TAPESTRY - The Invisible Landscape

RICHARD YOUNGS - Beyond The Valley Of Ultrahits - Thanks to Jagjaguwar for giving it a vinyl release (far too late off the mark to have got a copy of the CDR first time around )

BLACK MOUNTAIN - In The Future - Saw them live recently and thought they were blindin' so looking forward to their new release in Sept immensely.

JULIAN COPE - Floored Genius 2 ( Expanded )

ALICE COOPER - Love It To Death

BOBBY WOMACK - Understanding

HAWKWIND - Quark Strangeness & Charm - Took a punt on the record below as a result of playing it.

HIGH TIDE - Sea Shanties - Really enjoying the electric violin of Simon House on this.

GONG - LIve au Batclan 73 - Hillage free zone despite cover blurb, still it gives Malherbe more freedom so i'm not complaining. Pierre Morelen hugely impressive too.

STAX/VOLT TOUR NORWAY 67 ( recorded off the TV ) - More than a few goose bump moments to be had here !

And finally...

JAH WOBBLE - I Could Have Been A Contender - Er, played this loud on Friday evening to make the most of the bass. Think it must have shook some rawlplugs out of the wall as i was woken up by the noise of a quite spectacular shelving collapse at 2 AM Saturday morning. Think i'll get some free-standing storage next time around !
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 15:10
Sin Agog wrote:
I'm too knackered to write down the names of all the CD's at the top of the pile right now, but I know I've been listening to a lot of really strange avant-folk in preparation for this list. (I also uploaded an 80-minute compilation on that link).

Dude that Famous Boating Party ep is amazing. Probably my favourite Jewelled Antler release of all! Excellent choice...
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 15:16
Well put Sir !

Really regret not seeing them at an indoor venue back then too ( IIRC you saw them at Hammersmith with Wire supporting, what an incongruous but fascinating bill ! ) but was lucky enough to see them at Knebworth with Zappa and Peter Gabriel back in '78 and for me they were the highlight of the day.

Er, still can't hear WPOD without substituting Chorleywood for Hollywood in the lyric though !
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 15:28
bubblehead2 wrote:

i was woken up by the noise of a quite spectacular shelving collapse at 2 AM Saturday morning. Think i'll get some free-standing storage next time around !

I think you need to get someone to come in and sort the shelving for ya, Bubbs!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index