Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 2 May 2010 CE

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 2 May 2010 CE
May 02, 2010, 20:46
VA/ Deutsche Elektronische Musik: Experimental German Rock & Electronic Musik 1972-83
VA/ Piccadilly Sunshine - British Pop Psych & Other Flavours 1967-1970
VA/ What's Your Function: A Tribute to Franco Battiato

Mushroom/ Naked, Stoned and Stabbed
Detective/ ST
Necromandus/ Orexis of Death & Live
Les Rallizes Denudes/ Le 12 Mars 1977 a Tachikawa
The Julie Mittens/ ST
Residual Echoes/ Phoenician Flu & Ancient Ocean
Pavlov's Dog/ At the Sound of the Bell
Colour Haze/ ST
Circle/ Pori
Mammatus/ The Coast Explodes
Budgie/ ST
Jethro Tull/ Songs from the Wood
Eloy/ Planets
Andrew Liles/ Black Pool
High Mountain Tempel/ A Screaming Comes Across the Sky
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited May 03, 2010, 07:55
May 02, 2010, 21:38
Donovan - Mellow Yellow (Includes 'Writer In The Sun' & 'Young Girl Blues' - 2 of his best tracks).

The Beatles - Help/Rubber Soul (on good old crackly mono vinyl).

Genesis - Trespass ('Some of you are going to diiiie!!')

The Zombie - Odessey & Oracle (as perfect as this album is song by song, I can't help feeling the track order isn't quite right. To me 'This Could Be Our Year' sounds much more like a closing track than 'Time Of The Season' which I think would work better as the penultimate track).

David Bowie - Heroes

Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn/Starring Rosi

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk (Not a huge Mac fan, but I like the mixture of AOR and New Wave quirkiness on this LP, as well as the multisleeve packaging).

Wanda Jackson - A Portrait Of... (Dug out this hardly played LP after seeing a fantastic performance by her at the Luminaire the previous week. Sadly it features some real dross. Should have played the 'Queen Of Rockabilly' CD instead).

MGMT - Congratulations (finally got my 2LP copy of this. Loving it, apart from the fact that some of the tunes won't get out of my head when I'm trying to sleep).

Peter Howell & John Ferdinando - Tomorrow Come Sunday

Spirogyra - Bells, Boots & Shambles

Witthuser & Westrupp - Trips Und Traume
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 03, 2010, 12:37
That is because, unfortunately, that particular release is what is known in the business as crap.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited May 03, 2010, 12:53
May 03, 2010, 12:44
Squid Tempest wrote:

Jah Wobble & the Chinese Dub Orchestra - Chinese Dub
From the library. This is great. I wasn't sure at first, but as soon as that gorgeous dubby bass comes thundering in I was hooked.

Jah Wobble is smashing. Bought that album a few weeks ago and haven't been disapointed. That Blake album is crap though, sorry. The best thing he has done IMO is the collaboration with Evan Parker - Journey to Hades. Any Wobble fan has to check this out. Memoirs of a Geezer is worth a read too

by the way, how come everyone on this site knows how to quote snippets and i don't? What's the secret? Someone showed me before, but i've forgotten.

*Edit* Worked it out now
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

May 03, 2010, 12:47
Yep. Tried it again this morning, in a 'refreshed' frame of mind and on a proper sound system. An uninspired, self indulgent drag. He's very hit and miss I've now realised. I got another one from the library once that was supposedly a tribute to Irish poetry - it was as fucking Irish as a dodgy theme pub with plastic leprechauns, and the bass wasn't half plodding and repetitve. Terrible record.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

May 03, 2010, 14:45
eyeshakingking wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:

You've been consistently posting some of the finest selections in these threads for a good few weeks now. From your list this week, this release in particular, is amazing.

I'm with King on this one Sin, a great album, thanks for the tip. I dunno if you're familiar with Danielson, but this reminded me a lot of them, if a little less demented.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited May 03, 2010, 16:07
May 03, 2010, 15:19
I've got Fetch the Compass Kids by Danielson Famile and that's a dead-on comparison. Squeaky and warped Appalachian good-time music. I think indie's at its best when there's something naive and childlike about it. At least that's how it started out.

Anything else of theirs worth looking into?
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited May 03, 2010, 17:02
May 03, 2010, 16:56
Sin Agog wrote:

I can't recommend Ships highly enough. There was a best-of round up last year worth checking out as a primer, but Ships is a great place to start.

£1.99 here!
keith a
9573 posts

May 03, 2010, 17:34
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

Memoirs of a Geezer is worth a read too

I'm reading that at the moment. Entertaining stuff, but as much as I admire his work I've lost count of the amount of times the phrase "what a cock!" has come to mind so far.

I'm now onto the sober years part so I'm presuming it'll happen less now!

Anyway, here's mine...

LP’S
QUA – Cluster

PLASTIC BEACH – Gorillaz

SWORDS – Morrissey

METAL BOX – PIL

RAW POWER – Iggy & the Stooges

S/T - Suicide

45’S included a few things I hadn't heard in ages like KICK IN THE EYE – Bauhaus, SWERVE – Dub Sex, FREAKY DANCING – Happy Mondays and PREGNANT FOR THE LAST TIME - Morrissey
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

May 03, 2010, 19:35
mingtp wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:

I can't recommend Ships highly enough. There was a best-of round up last year worth checking out as a primer, but Ships is a great place to start.

£1.99 here!

Cheers for the link. Ordered. Can't wait to blare that baby at full volume and get worried neighbours popping by to see if I'm doing evil scientific experiments on my cat.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index