11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Mar 17, 2010, 23:10
Re: Cuz he wanted to
Mar 17, 2010, 23:07
Money was a parody of psych-rock, recorded using the same instruments and recording techniques that "actual psych-rock" was being made in at the same time, and in the very same studios. It works as parody because it sounds exactly like the thing it is meant to be parodying.

The re-recorded version sounds like Zappa's 80's band (because it's his 80's rhtyhm section that was overdubbed -- just the bass & drums.) A 60's parody that sounds like 80's jazz-wank just doesn't "work" as a parody.

Similarly, Ruben is sort of a 50's album, though the re-recording is a bit less obnoxious since it didn't really sound like a 50's album in the first place (whether recorded in the 60's or 80's it's more of a "nostalgia pastiche" than a straight "parody.")

Though I still say both original versions are "obviously" superior -- Zappa did have a rather shitty attitude towards his original group (hence why not re-record JC Black's drum parts? He could only play in 4/4 time after all!) This is one of the biggest things that rubs me the wrong way about him (but that's Zappa -- he pisses everyone off one way or another.)

Though in conclusion -- I'm really not "upset" that he went back and fucked with his own tapes . . . at least not as long as the originals are also still available.

Unsung Forum Index