11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Mar 17, 2010, 23:48
Re: Zappa... Why did you do that?
Mar 17, 2010, 23:47
Zappa was the original king of knob-dicking -- one of the most distinctive things about those classic Mothers albums is that most of the instruments are "varispeeded" -- meaning he plays them back at different speeds to change pitch & timbre. I daresay MOST of the tracks from 1967-1969 use this on most of the instruments (Uncle Meat especially, but also Hot Rats.)

BUT that was analog knob-dicking, which sounds different (and yes I would say "cooler") than the laptop knob-dicking that everyone does these days.

(I wonder if redoing the records in the 80's was sort of like his obsession with dicking with the original recordings back in the 60's -- i.e., he didn't trust those musicians to play it "good enough" so he had to make with the studio-fuckery.)

Speaking of useless remixes -- I remember Puff Daddy (whatever he was called back then) did a "remix" of Grandmaster Flash's immortal "The Message" which basically sounded like the original track running on for twice the length with some dipshit (Puffy) yelling "uh! uh! yeah!" in between the verses.

Like I should take the original "Strawberry Fields Forever" and loop it and yell "UH YEAH REMIX BABY!!!!!" over the top and claim it as my own song!!

Unsung Forum Index