Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 21, 2010, 22:49
Popel Vooje wrote:
I've thought of two more. There's "The Burning World" by Swans - which seems to be regarded by most fans, and by Michael Gira, as their fatally compromised major label debut (he and producer Bill Laswell didn't click, apparently) but I think it's still a damned sight better than most bands' career highs. The tunes are good enough to withstand the sometimes over-lush arranegments, and it shows that Swans could hold their own as a song-based band as well as bludgeoning monochrome noise-merchants. So there...!

Also Love's "Four Sail" has a dfamned signt more subtance than some fans give it credit for - the decline in Arthur Lee's songwriting talent was clearly a gadual prpocess rather than an overnight development. There are several songs here which equal "Foerever Changes", even if they're sometimes obscured by the uber-virtuoso soloing of the new line-up. "August", "Singing Cowboy" and "Nothing" are as good as anything on their first three LPs.

Both great albums. And judging from the Love live shows in the years just before he died, Arthur Lee really liked singing 'Singing Cowboy'!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oh and finally...
Feb 22, 2010, 15:24
How could I forget?

"All Shook Down" by the Replacements.

Dismissed as a tired, plodding swansong by a bar band who had effectively already split up. In reality, the best singer-songwriter album of the early 90s, one that both anticipated and transcended the remainder of the Lemonheads' career, and a fair portion of American Music Club's.
Boxnudger
Boxnudger
246 posts

Feb 22, 2010, 15:41
dave clarkson wrote:
U-ziq - Royal Astronomy

This is a great album - I think a lot of older fans found it too easy on the ear and not as experimental as previous albums, whilst newcomers found it to difficult on the ear and too experimental. Ho hum.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Oh and finally...
Feb 22, 2010, 18:12
Popel Vooje wrote:
How could I forget?

Dismissed as a tired, plodding swansong by a bar band who had effectively already split up. In reality, the best singer-songwriter album of the early 90s, one that both anticipated and transcended the remainder of the Lemonheads' career, and a fair portion of American Music Club's.

wasn't that the critical opinion about every Replacements album on release, then when the new one came along suddenly the one before was a classic

must dig them out, they deserve a listen
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Feb 22, 2010, 18:50
Feb 22, 2010, 18:49
Doody wrote:

-Time Fades Away by Neil Young. Supposedly this has never been issued on CD because Young thinks it sounds like garbage. A shame, because it has some great songs ("Don't Be Denied" especially), and I don't think any of the songs winds up elsewhere in any form.

I've heard this too -- the original LP was mastered using some sort of computer system which never caught on, so maybe that has something to do with it (no way to access the original mix anymore?)

It's one of my top 5 Neil albums for sure -- and the original LP has a very interesting sound (a bit "artificial" but definitely a unique live record -- combination of fancy hitech recording and Neil being so wasted and out of tune is another fascinating Neil contradiction.)

Hopefully he'll at least needledrop it for "Archives Vol. 2" (which is due out around 2037 I understand.)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 22, 2010, 19:14
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Gnostic Almighty wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

I also really like the Damned's post-Captain albums, 'Phantasmagoria' and 'Anything', far more in fact than the critically-rated 'Strawberries' and 'The Black Album.' There, I've said it.

I must be listening to different albums.

The passage of time since the releases of Phantasmagoria and Anything hasn't done them any harm, and they are imo listenable to now and contain some interesting stuff (especially on Anything), they pale into insigificance when compared to either The Black Album or Strawberries ... or Grave Disorder, So, Who's Paranoid and yes, even Music For Pleasure.

It was of course the Anything line-up of The Damned that became The Phantom Chords, and I feel that if the withdrawn first album would have been actually released from Polydor, it would have all been a different story.

Yeah, I know I'm on my own with this one. I'm not particularly going to try to justify it, it's pure personal taste. I like everything they've done, but in contrast to almost everyone, Strawberries is actually my least favourite Damned album.

By the way, Dave Clarkson- is Surf's Up maligned? Overlooked, maybe- It's my favourite Beach Boys album, flawed, but when it's good, it's majestic.

I'd always got the impression that "Surf's Up" was the most critically lauded Beach BOys albums apart from "Pet Sounds". WOuld have been better still if Dennis hadn't pulled all his songs from the album after a tiff - then we'd have got the gorgeous "Fourth of July" in place of "Student Demonstration Time". You're right of course though, it's a cracking album nonetheless.
Doody
33 posts

Feb 22, 2010, 19:24
Dog 3000 wrote:
Doody wrote:

-Time Fades Away by Neil Young. Supposedly this has never been issued on CD because Young thinks it sounds like garbage. A shame, because it has some great songs ("Don't Be Denied" especially), and I don't think any of the songs winds up elsewhere in any form.

I've heard this too -- the original LP was mastered using some sort of computer system which never caught on, so maybe that has something to do with it (no way to access the original mix anymore?)

It's one of my top 5 Neil albums for sure -- and the original LP has a very interesting sound (a bit "artificial" but definitely a unique live record -- combination of fancy hitech recording and Neil being so wasted and out of tune is another fascinating Neil contradiction.)

Hopefully he'll at least needledrop it for "Archives Vol. 2" (which is due out around 2037 I understand.)

Yeah, on the center labels it even lists the computer system. But, come on, it's 2010 - there's a way to remaster anything. I just think it's funny that he seems to be bent out of shape about the performances, because Neil Young is always sloppy. But that's his style - it doesn't sound half-assed, it sounds loose and relaxed.

I don't know how it is in Britain, but at least over here it's not really that rare, so that's a plus if you have a turntable.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 22, 2010, 19:39
Doody wrote:

I just think it's funny that he seems to be bent out of shape about the performances, because Neil Young is always sloppy. But that's his style - it doesn't sound half-assed, it sounds loose and relaxed.

I wonder if it's not sort of personal -- he was so fucked up on that record because he was pretty miserable in his life at that point. He doesn't want to listen to it and "go back to that dark time."

Which is still kinda dumb, it's not for him to listen to it's for the fans!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Feb 23, 2010, 10:23
Managed to find a tshirt of it in a cheapo clothes shop for 1.99 before the currency changed. Found it a bit odd since Miles w3as probably very obscure in Dublin at the time. But there was a whole rack of them.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Oh and finally...
Feb 23, 2010, 15:18
machineryelf wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
How could I forget?

wasn't that the critical opinion about every Replacements album on release, then when the new one came along suddenly the one before was a classic

To some extent, yes. I think they had universal critical kudos when they were still on an indie label, but after they signed to Sire their fanbase seemed to split between purists who only liked the early stuff and the future Uncut readers who appreciated their more introspective side... but "All Shook Down" seemed to invoke the biggest disparirty between the album journalists reviewed and the one I heard.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index