Unsung Forum »
Lady Gaga on The Brits

129 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Lady Gaga on The Brits
Feb 18, 2010, 02:36
After reading the thread, I think all pop music including Lady Gaga is a matter of personal taste. When people say a certain 'pop' artist is talented, it means more than simply the music. How can it not? It wouldn't be pop otherwise. I've always seen 'Rock' as the serious big brother of 'Pop' - both genres are generally pretty simple forms of musical language.

To argue the merits of one pop artist over another is pointless and generally takes into consideration the peripheral stuff which surrounds the music (image, politics, subversion, sex and attitude).

Discussions on pop music is a key indicator of generations moving on and folks getting old while trying to stay young. I've been in loads of situations where reactionary rock musos who never got a break blame pop music for their downfall rather than the fact that they are actually talentless themselves - rock n roll grandparents who have a downer on kids enjoying themselves. You shouldn't over analyse pop (even though i just have!)- it's like getting Stephen Hawking to explain 2 plus 2.

8)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index