13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Hendrix Help?
Feb 10, 2010, 20:23
Kid Calamity wrote:
I've never really collected much Hendrix. Got a few cheapo live things on vinyl like 'The Smashing Of Amps' and singles like 'Foxu Lady', but that was before my 'reawakening' or whatever you call it. Maybe I should start again. But where? There are loads and loads of boots of gigs and studio outtakes. Perhaps too many for idly dipping in, without some informed guidance.

Yup - Are You Experienced? and Axis: Bold As Love are the best for well-produced psychedelic songiness ...

Electric Ladyland is one of my favorite records, ever, but for best results you either have to play it on vinyl (the Hendrix Family remaster is terrific) or work out which tunes were on which side and program your CD player accordingly, otherwise it's just too much info and doesn't make any sense ... you are expected to LISTEN to the whole record, preferably sitting still in front of the speakers - I mean, not by me, just that that was the intent for the music, like reading a book or watching a movie

Band Of Gypsys is incredible, I guess I've heard it so much at this point that I get equally rocks off from the Live At The Fillmore extended edition but the original album is pivotal for lots of people (Vernon Reid, tons of others) so probably a better place to start ... the grooves are amazing, Buddy Miles and Billy Cox were a terrific rhythm section

... and lots of First Rays Of The New Rising Sun and South Saturn Delta have those two dudes, or Billy and Mitch Mitchell which might even be better (both are good, but very different flavors) so if you're looking for funkier, or in some cases, jazzier, sort of the ultimate attempt at cosmic psychedelic funk-n-rnb-n-roll, then those two discs are a good place to start

I LOVE the Woodstock live album, but not everyone agrees with me. It sort of sounds to me like a brilliant rocknroll band trying to learn how to turn it's songs into Albert Ayler covers and not quite hitting it but making some beautiful mistakes on the way

Unsung Forum Index