Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
hedlite
hedlite
375 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2010, 22:16
'New' Hendrix
Feb 09, 2010, 22:13
Just heard a track from this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valleys_of_Neptune on the radio. Thought it sounded great.

Is this old news?
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: 'New' Hendrix
Feb 10, 2010, 00:56
there's a whole wodge of hendrix reissues, remasters coming out in the next 2 months.
Don't know how much other prev unreleased stuff there is to come. Bit wary of getting bitten by the hendrix collecting bug again...
hedlite
hedlite
375 posts

Feb 10, 2010, 01:33
Yes me too. I suppose (on hearing the track on radio earlier) I was a bit swept away by the feeling that Jimi was just starting to get a grip on where he was going next (which I hadn't heard before) and the warm fluid sound of someone who had the next stepping stone in their sights but maybe the wrong glasses on, or something.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 10, 2010, 02:16
Haven't heard this yet, but how much decent unreleased Hendrix studio stuff can there possibly be? They released like 4 albums of this stuff by 1975, and even then resorted to having new musicians complete unfinished tracks!

How much of this is the original tape and how much a "re-envisioning" by someone else I wonder?

I imagine there's plenty of good live stuff out there though -- the double CD of Band of Gypsys outtakes is pretty awesome.
Five
Five
960 posts

Feb 10, 2010, 02:56
I've been waiting for a good issue of this version of the song "Valley Of Neptune" since I heard it on the Lifelines radio show about fifteen years ago. Given Jimi's approach to recording (he composed using the studio, so he recorded LOTS) and that Eddie Kramer is doing the mixing, I have a lot of faith in this particular release.

But I take it case by case. The Dagger Records stuff I never bothered with (except for the Oakland show which I recall thinking was brilliant when I heard it in about 1999 or so ... the Baggy Sessions might also be worth a listen), but the "First Rays..." collection and "South Saturn Delta" are both very close to indispensable and I listen to them more than the official albums.

Nothing that the Hendrix family allows to be released is likely to have other musicians on it or to have the original tracks altered in any way other than for Kramer to mix them as best he knows how.

Truthfully, tho, with the exception of some pre-Experience stuff, there aren't too many Hendrix recordings out there that I wouldn't LOVE to hear properly mixed and mastered. The rehearsals with the Woodstock band, for example, are amazing, tho the fidelity is terrible.

For the 70s records, I suggest Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge (tho both are largely incorporated into First Rays and South Saturn, with more good material added), possibly War Heroes, perhaps Loose Ends, I believe the good bits of Hendrix In The West are available in the box set, and if you don't mind some seriously sloppy editing in a jam context, Nine To The Universe is a lot of fun. Stay far away from Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning, the offending albums with studio players and such. Voodoo Soup (from the 90s) is also mainly a kettle of shit (tracks on that one are available elsewhere in preferable mixes and masters with one or two exceptions)
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2010, 04:29
Feb 10, 2010, 03:11
I heard some tapes with John McLaughlin many many years ago. Has there been any hint that these may be officially released? as It's possible that Johnny Mac may be more relaxed about them being released properly. I was fortunate enough to hear the Nine to the Universe material being played by Alexis Korner on his R1 show and then strangely find it in a Junk shop soon after. I left behind Tone Float.... (before Charity shops hit the High St).
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Hendrix Help?
Feb 10, 2010, 11:21
I've never really collected much Hendrix. Got a few cheapo live things on vinyl like 'The Smashing Of Amps' and singles like 'Foxu Lady', but that was before my 'reawakening' or whatever you call it. Maybe I should start again. But where? There are loads and loads of boots of gigs and studio outtakes. Perhaps too many for idly dipping in, without some informed guidance.

http://crying-blue-rain-hendrix.blogspot.com/

http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/hendrix.html
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 10, 2010, 13:08
Radcliffe and Maconie played "Bleeding Heart" yesterday evening, it did sound great. "Valleys of Neptune" is a fuckin awful title mind! Should've just called it "Fannies"
hedlite
hedlite
375 posts

Re: Hendrix Help?
Feb 10, 2010, 13:10
I've always liked Rainbow Bridge (as mentioned above) and Electric Ladyland, which makes for quite a mellow, immersive listen. I'd have to recommend a DVD too, Live at Monterey being an obvious 1st choice I suppose, just because seeing him do his thang is a big part of the whole, er, experience.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2010, 15:07
Re: Hendrix Help?
Feb 10, 2010, 13:17
The first two albums or the original "Smash Hits" comp are fantastic places to start if you want all the killer tunes and have less interest in the extended widdly wig-outs. I am not a huge fan of "Electric Ladyland" though it has an album's worth of corkers and some great psych moments for sure.

Of the live stuff I like the original "Band of Gypsys" lp and the original "Isle of Wight" lp. The extended versions on cd are the epitome of the less-is-more argument. I like very stoned, early 70s loosely played downer blues rock so avoid my choices if you want something a bit more focussed and fiery. I don't much like the Mitchell / Redding band on stage so I can't really offer any guidance on the pre Billy Cox live recordings.

I think the Experience Hendrix folks have done a very decent job so far and the "South Saturn Delta" and "First Rays" are both really good if you want to extend your listening.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index