'New' Hendrix

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: 'New' Hendrix
Feb 10, 2010, 02:56
I've been waiting for a good issue of this version of the song "Valley Of Neptune" since I heard it on the Lifelines radio show about fifteen years ago. Given Jimi's approach to recording (he composed using the studio, so he recorded LOTS) and that Eddie Kramer is doing the mixing, I have a lot of faith in this particular release.

But I take it case by case. The Dagger Records stuff I never bothered with (except for the Oakland show which I recall thinking was brilliant when I heard it in about 1999 or so ... the Baggy Sessions might also be worth a listen), but the "First Rays..." collection and "South Saturn Delta" are both very close to indispensable and I listen to them more than the official albums.

Nothing that the Hendrix family allows to be released is likely to have other musicians on it or to have the original tracks altered in any way other than for Kramer to mix them as best he knows how.

Truthfully, tho, with the exception of some pre-Experience stuff, there aren't too many Hendrix recordings out there that I wouldn't LOVE to hear properly mixed and mastered. The rehearsals with the Woodstock band, for example, are amazing, tho the fidelity is terrible.

For the 70s records, I suggest Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge (tho both are largely incorporated into First Rays and South Saturn, with more good material added), possibly War Heroes, perhaps Loose Ends, I believe the good bits of Hendrix In The West are available in the box set, and if you don't mind some seriously sloppy editing in a jam context, Nine To The Universe is a lot of fun. Stay far away from Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning, the offending albums with studio players and such. Voodoo Soup (from the 90s) is also mainly a kettle of shit (tracks on that one are available elsewhere in preferable mixes and masters with one or two exceptions)

Unsung Forum Index