Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Name three music guilty pleasure albums.

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caergog
393 posts

Re: arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Jul 21, 2002, 02:15
a wellie is a wellington boot ( i assume or else i have had the comletely wrong impression of ms girl in wellies for a long time) it is generally a rubber coated (i think) water proof boot that comes up to just below the knees, often seen worn by farmers and in muddy places they are very good if you go tattie (potato)picking. in the 1970's the moon boot appeared which was basically a version of the wellie but with a foam inner lining to keep you warm alas you tended to get very sweaty feet with these. In the 1980's ( and possibly still now) certain odd persons in the uk wore barber coats( this being a rubber coated jacket) and wellies but these tended to be a little slim fitting number( for city folk prendiending they were from the country) often these people hung out with lady diana ( later princess) or aspired to and were called sloanes ( they also wore strange frilly collars). Now adays you can get little wellies for doing the gardening in that only come up to the ankles but i imagine ms girl in wellies has the traditional type but i could be wrong so hopefully she she will correct me if so. i quite like the little ankle ones but alas do not have a garden at present .
incidently while on the subject when in wellies you may find yourself eating sandwiches the name for these originated from lord sandwich ( i think) who while on an outing decided to put his meat (? it could have been fish or veg not sure) between his bits of bread. some how though I think many people probably did this before but he just thought he was superbly inventive and gave the idea his name.
When i was little( about 12) i used to go tattie picking and wear my wellies and eat sandwiches and also 'pot noodles' we got payed five pounds a day which looking back was crap but was enough to buy chritmas presents ( the october holidays in scotland are often called the tattie holidays). our first cat came from the tattie farm as there were loads of them running around and the old lady used to collect all the litlte kittens and put them in a caravan and feed them milk and tattie peelings. when our cat came home he would often sit amongst the potatos in the house no doubt thinking of his youth!
oops i have digessed a little( maybe alot) wine is just so divine ! ;)
love caroline xx
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index