The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2010, 09:29
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 17 January 2010 CE
Jan 18, 2010, 09:27
Squid Tempest wrote:
Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer
Really enjoying this, hadn't heard it before. A bit like the Rubycon/Phaedra period Tangs, but shorter tracks.

Focus 3
When I'm in the mood, Focus are hard to top. A classic.

Gong - 2032
Still loving this to bits. Haven't got bored with it at all. Brings me much joy to know they can still be this good.

Uriah Heep - The Magicians Birthday
Classic Heep, but I'm not keen on everything on here. Sometimes gets a bit to ballady for my taste.

The Incredible String Band - 5000 Spirits
I'm rather ashamed to admit I've only just got hold of this, never heard them before except one or two snatches. This album has blown me away. For some reason I'd assumed I wouldn't like them very much, but how wide of the mark that was!

Klaus Schulze - Cyborg
Really got into this in a big way now. Lovely electronic squiggles Quite bleak, but beautiful.

Daevid Allen - Bananamoon
Dug out the old vinyl of this, partly coz I've been trying to get it on CD and failed. Sounds really great on my new(ish) turntable too, fantastic recording. Love the Robert Wyatt track. Well, I love it all actually.

Some truly great stuff there Squid ! 2032 is a pure joy. I was very suprised and utterly delighted.

The Incredible String Band! The Beatles of Psych Folk bar none. I don't have a favourite artist, it's an impossible concept, but they come very close. When I first heard a comp. some years back, it didn't click, but when I tried again after plunging into the world of Folk Rock and Psych Folk, they blew me away. Truly unique. As well as 5000 Spirits, check out the first album, which is mellower but lovely, and a great scene setter, then Hangman's Beautiful Daughter ( stunning) and the sublime Wee Tam and The Big Huge. Originally released as a double album, it was fairly swiftly remarketed as two separate albums. It's incomparable. 5000 Spirits through to WT & BH are their very best, but there are still wondrous things to be found thereafter including Creation on the otherwise weaker Changing Horses album, which was followed by the far superior I Looked Up (Pictures In A Mirror/The Moment/ When You Find Out Who You Are) followed by the wonderfully and sprawling psych folk sci -fi double that is U. This has some real gems on it, one stinker, and some all round general great Stringness (it's a bit like their White Album).

Then they started to go increasingly electric with Liquid Acrobat As The Air Regards The Air, but it's still a fantastic record, often overlooked, a particular stand out moment being Robin Williamson's Darling Belle. It usually comes with the soundtrack album Be Glad For The Song Has No Ending which is non- essential but charming nontheless.

I don't go any further than this. There were a few more weaker and weaker albums were the spirit drained away. They went more rocky and lost it. One or two last gasp tracks, but they were no longer Incredible and that was it.

Robin Williamson solo work is beautiful. He is a true Bard. His first album Myrhh, was the missing ISB album in spirit, whilst Mike Heron's
Smiling Men With Bad Reputations is a good all rounder, it's more mainstream. However, it does have John Cale on the fine Feast Of Stephen. Price of entry alone...

ALSO: Robin Williamson 'A Glint At The Kindling', 'Songs Of Love And Parting'***** both. He still releases fine celtic/bardic influenced albums of great beauty and gigs regularly. Check out his website @ Pigswhisker.

COB: See other thread. Moyshe McStiff And The Tartan Lancers stands alone in it's genius as well. It has to be in any ISB collection.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index