Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 17 January 2010 CE
Jan 17, 2010, 23:38
Squid Tempest wrote:

The Incredible String Band - 5000 Spirits
I'm rather ashamed to admit I've only just got hold of this, never heard them before except one or two snatches. This album has blown me away. For some reason I'd assumed I wouldn't like them very much, but how wide of the mark that was!

I'd immediately go out & get the (to me anyway) better next lp Hangman's Beautiful Daughter which is more experimental, mystical & less poppy. I think that's their peak, though some of the feeling carries over to the next set of music. Soon after they became Scientologists and at least partially lost something in their music.

I'd also repeat the reccommendation for the original 2nd member Clive Palmer's C.O.B. lps. I think he predated Mike Heron, if he didn't actually start up the band himself.

There are a couple of ISB compis of demoes & outtakkes that I think are both on Hux. Chelsea Sessions I think is contemporary to 5000 Spirits & Tricks of The Senses is a double covering material over the end of the 60s.

just seen that Sanctuary put out some other compi stuff. The Circle Is Unbroken seems to cover their whole career. Reviews at Amazon don't look too favourable though.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index