40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 17 January 2010 CE
Jan 17, 2010, 16:55
Scout Niblett- Kidnapped By Neptune.
Scout Niblett- The Calcination of Scout Niblett.

I think Scout's new album is the best thing she's done; raw, dark and minimal, very PJ Harvey and Nirvana influenced, produced by Steve Albini as usual and just full of heart and soul. Deserves a wider audience.

These New Puritans- Beat Pyramid.

Ahead of Southend indie types These New Puritans much-hyped, sorry, much-anticipated forthcoming second album, 'Hidden' with its marvellous Missy Elliot meets Bloc Party meets the kitchen sink lead-off single, 'We Want War,' I picked up their debut, which had so far passed me by. Not expecting much- everyone who raves about the new one says its an unexpected quantum leap from the first- but actually, the first is pretty far out in its own right, and certainly not bog standard 00s indie rock. Almost closer to the Mars Volta or summat- busy, leftfield, bursting with ideas. Needs more listens to fully absorb.

The Long Blondes- Someone to Drive You Home.

Hard to believe this is only four years old, as this kind of literate, stylish northern indie seems a thing of the far-gone past. Great understated songwriting.

Iggy Pop- Zombie Birdhouse.

His only partially successful experimental set, but probably his best album of the 80s. Stands up well, I think.

Six Organs of Admittance- Empty the Sun.

Anything by Ben Chasny floats my boat, but this one is growing on me in particular.

The Amorphous Androgynous/various Artists- Mojo Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble covermount CD.

One of the better freebie CDS of recent months from the Mojo Men.

Simple Minds- New Gold Dream.
Julian Cope- My Nation Underground.

Shiny 80s neo-stadium rock guilty pleasures corner.

The Datsuns- Outta Sight / Outta Mind.
The Mooney Suzuki- Electric Sweat.

2002 retro garage rock guilty pleasures corner.

Got Jarvis on 6Music now and Freak Zone to come. Cheers!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index