34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Gentle Giant
Dec 12, 2009, 13:44
Stevo wrote:

there are a couple of decent Uk prog bands worth checking out too. Heard Gnidrilog? Both lps are currently available on a BGO 2fer.
I like Indian summer & Ton ton Macoute too as well as Raw material's Time Is. I'm sure I'll think of others later too.

While thinking Gentle Giant, reading Rabelais can be fun. they seemed to have a bit of a fixation on him. Bawdy 16th century french writer with scatological fixations, pretty funny if you can read material that old.

Giant on The Box, the dvd has some interesting material on. The first gig on the video is from a Brussels film studio in 1974. I think the drumming is getting a bit busy, which is one thing I really don't like about the later material.
& Phil Shulman left around this point which might be more of an axis point in the change in the sound.

Np Sun Ra '78 Happy Medium Next stop earth

I will definitely investigate these recommendations, and I will pick up Rabelais from the Library. I'm aware of him, so it's time to read him whilst listenening to GG ;-). I can't for the life of me see any similarity with Supertramp though, as suggested on other posts. Not my thing at all.

Sun Ra - Outer Spaceways Incoporated is now playing.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index