Gentle Giant

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Gentle Giant
Dec 12, 2009, 12:21
not sure if Simon Dupree & the Big Sound foreshadowed any later developments. Kites is pretty sublime though.

Think they were pretty much the same band several years earlier though, definitely had core members in.

think some of the Canterbury material definitely has the same melodic playfulness.

there are a couple of decent Uk prog bands worth checking out too. Heard Gnidrilog? Both lps are currently available on a BGO 2fer.
I like Indian summer & Ton ton Macoute too as well as Raw material's Time Is. I'm sure I'll think of others later too.

While thinking Gentle Giant, reading Rabelais can be fun. they seemed to have a bit of a fixation on him. Bawdy 16th century french writer with scatological fixations, pretty funny if you can read material that old.

Giant on The Box, the dvd has some interesting material on. The first gig on the video is from a Brussels film studio in 1974. I think the drumming is getting a bit busy, which is one thing I really don't like about the later material.
& Phil Shulman left around this point which might be more of an axis point in the change in the sound.

Not sure what it is exactly but I do prefer the early material to about 72 or 73 to the later stuff. Could just be that the first available video is after this and I'd otherwise be more dismissive of it. The live material I've got of the earlier stuff has been pretty cool too.
Stevo
Np Sun Ra '78 Happy Medium Next stop earth
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index