zerkalo
488 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 October 2009 CE
Oct 27, 2009, 13:14
James Brown - Black Caesar OST
James Brown - The Payback OST
James Brown - Slaughter's Big Rip-Off OST
Lyn Collins - Mama Feelgood (Best of)

Various Marva Whitney (this is currently my favourite clip on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX1xjmjK6KQ )

Funkadelic - S/T
Funkadelic - Free Your Mind
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Funkadelic - Standing On The Verge of Getting It On
Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxter's
The Byrds - Turn Turn Turn
The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Wyrdstone - Cuffern
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Oct 27, 2009, 14:48
Human Quena Orchestra - Politics of the Irredeemable
Fabulously gloomy and noise-ridden.

Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate
A classic. If you don't believe me, get a copy anyway.

Muse - The Resistance
Waaaay over the top, but splendid.

Tetragrammaton - Elegy For Native Tongues
Wild and free improv. Unusual choice for Mr Cope's AOTM in my book, I wouldn't have thought this would be his cup of tea.

Nile - Ithyphallic
Egyptian metal? Wrrraaaapyramidsaaaarrrgghhh! Thanks Moon Cat :-)

Uriah Heep - Wake The Sleeper
Dug this out after the Heep thread this week. Slick and enjoyable modern metal/rock. Also had a listen to Demons and Wizards just because I could.

Camel - S/T
Lovely melodic rock/prog. Nice for those relaxing moments. Pass me pipe and slippers.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 27, 2009, 16:03
Oct 27, 2009, 15:58
Double post - deleted.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 27, 2009, 16:03
Oct 27, 2009, 16:03
The Flaming Lips - Embyronic
A Place to Bury Strangers - Exploding Head
Bryan MacLean - ifyoubelievein
David Ackles - s/t
Pearls Before Swine - Balaklava
Various - CD86
The Blue Orchis - The Greatest Hit (Money Mountain)
Fotheringay - s/t
The Small Faces - The Autumn Stone
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
Gilberto Gil - The Early Years
The Triffids - Calenture demos
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 27, 2009, 16:04
1001realapes wrote:

The Banana Splits : We're The Banana Splits

Can't believe I've finally come across someone else who owns that album...!
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Oct 27, 2009, 17:45
Alasdair Roberts: The Wyrd Meme

The first person ever to render the olde Scottish vibe in such an accomplished, unique way and not make ye think of singing shortbread tins. Got tons in common with his pal Will Oldham too.

David Sylvian: Manafon

In any other hands, 'David Sylvian' would be a total disaster, but I'm liking this tons.

Todd Rundgren: Nearly Human

Some great melodic 80s adult pop, the kind that got nowhere of course unlike all the other awful adult pop that dominated an ruined my growing up TOTP (you know the guilty ones:-))

Shackleton: 3Eps

Excellent stuff, pushing the whole techno vibe ever onwards, and not to be confused with the lesser Dubstep variety.

Some Kraftwerk, some Cluster

On the back of the BBC doc, if an excuse be needed:-)

Leyland Kriby: Sadly the future is no Longer What is was

Alot of music here, so will have to reserve judgement, but I adore The Caretaker and even some of the goofing V/VM stuff.

The Flaming Lips: Embryonic

Loud! Am liking it, a digression at least, and go some interesting moments.

x
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Oct 28, 2009, 15:39
Popel Vooje wrote:
1001realapes wrote:

The Banana Splits : We're The Banana Splits

Can't believe I've finally come across someone else who owns that album...!

Don't have the actual album sadly
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Oct 29, 2009, 17:15
Spookey do a cover of the theme song on their next long player.
:o)
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2009, 17:26
Oct 29, 2009, 17:24
Johnny Foreigner Grace And The Bigger Picture Terrific stuff this, great live band. Love them.

Pelican What We All Come To Need Heard a track from this so bought the album. Heavy, heavy riffs, mostly instrumental. Have been lucky enough to be able to just sit and listen to this a couple of times this week without anything interrupting the pleasure!

My daughter gave me her old ipod a while back (she'd upgraded) so I've been taking great delight in building up the library with tracks that I'll always be sure to want to hear (ie. never skip to the next track.) Lots of fun! Old and new stuff all mixed in, selected tracks not whole albums (tho', I think, there are two whole albums in their entirety included.)

:o)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Oct 31, 2009, 00:43
Was away last week and tried to concentrate on catching up with 2009 while it's still with us, so:

Bad Lieutenant - Never Cry Another Tear. Well, it's okay in a sub-Doves kind of way. Not really taking Barney anywhere he needs to go imho.

Client - Command. Pretty good, taking the line that if it ain't broke, etc.

Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe. Mediocre album, repeated plays are not really doing anything to help.

The Durutti Column - Love In The Time of Recession; A Paean To Wilson. The former has the brilliant "Lockdown", the latter is heading towards being my favourite album this year (although SXXV are still there at the moment).

Echo & The Bunnymen - The Fountain. 2009 really hasn't been kind to many of my old favourites. This is without doubt the worst E&TB album ever, from the AOR sound to the even worse than usual lyrical dumbness (still better than Slideling though). Mac's voice still sounds great though.

Editors - In This Light And On This Evening. Another disappointment, their new "electro" direction reminds me of Ure-period Ultravox fronted by a mumbling Jim Kerr circa 1985. Stop now, please.

Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand. This one is growing on me. Not many news tricks tune-wise, but the arrangements are much more intriguing, with a subtle electronic edge that Editors would obviously kill for.

Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate. Each play makes this sound better and better. Still a few patchy tracks ("Dust Devil"), but some real crackers too, especially "Africa".

New Model Army - Today Is A Good Day. Possibly a little bit "rock" to these ears, not matching up to the last couple of albums but still not a bad effort.

George Pringle - Salon des Refuses. I think this is great, but unlikely that a posh girl talking bollocks over well-constructed electro is going to be to everyone's taste. Check out "Physical Education" or "Carte Postale" if you're interested.

Section 25 - Nature + Degree. Still my favourite album this year.

David Sylvian - Manafon. The criticism this got in the Wire seems unfounded. It's Blemish taken on a step, and played over crappy speakers in a Cornish cottage with the noise of waves lapping coming through the window it sounded wonderful. Actually, the music is very muted so I can see what the Wire review was getting at, I just don't see it as a problem. It's billed as a Sylvian album, not a Tin Machine style democracy.

Jah Wobble & The Chinese Dub Orchestra - Chinese Dub. Still getting used to this, the Chinese singing is still a bit out of my usual listening zone. The Dub versions are great though.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz. Another one that's being rewarded by repeat plays.

Black Sheep - The Unruly Imagination; KMSA2; (with Christophe F -) Heathern Frontiers In Sound; Brain Donor - Wasted Fuzz Excessive. There's been so much Cope "product" this year it's been hard to keep up and none of these have had much play so far. All have their moments, but there's too much of the ranter about it for me generally.

John Foxx & Robin Guthrie - Mirrorball. Pretty much what you'd expect an album from these two to sound like, not a million miles from Foxx's Cathedral Oceans albums.

PJ Harvey and John Parish - A Man A Women Walked By. Another serious grower, not perhaps as intoxicating as Dance Hall At Louse Point was though.

They also served - Morrissey - Years of Refusal; Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers; Pet Shop Boys - yes/etc.; Tim Freise-Green - 10 Sketches For Piano Trio.

Normal service being resumed this week!
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index