"Greatest Albums Of The Decade"

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Re: If you're interested
Oct 20, 2009, 18:56
Coldplay and Espers on the same list, now that's not something you see very often.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 20, 2009, 19:04
Nice to see Robert Wyatt in there, but re. these utterly irrelevant and preposterous lists, they remind me of Tom Waits on opinons : ' they're like arseholes. Everybody's got one.' ( disclaimer : not applicable to the dreadfulness of Coldplay ).
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Edited Oct 20, 2009, 19:18
pitchfork top 200
Oct 20, 2009, 19:17
As someone mentioned Pitchfork did a top 200 of the decade recently:

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7706-the-top-200-albums-of-the-2000s-200-151/

i know a lot of people get het up with all these lists around, but i find them quite intregueing.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Oct 20, 2009, 19:25
Oct 20, 2009, 19:24
Right on. And why 150 albums? Bloody hell, I'd be hard pushed to think of 20 albums worthy of any sort of classic status from the last nine years, let alone a worthlessly large list like that. Stuck in the past I may be, but I can't get as enthusiastic about new music as I do about old, mainly because I hardly ever hear anything distinctive or new going on these days - just pale retreads of bands, sounds and genres that were much, much better first time around. All that list has done is remind me of how mediocre things have got, rare exceptions like the artist responsible for this site notwithstanding.

I'd have to be pretty bored to list something like this. And terminally so to go to 150 records. The more records in the list, the less good any one of them can be, if you catch my drift. And if 'Love And Theft' is really the second best album released this century, we really are in a bad way.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 20, 2009, 19:54
69 Love Songs was 1999
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re:
Oct 20, 2009, 21:01
Apparently Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and Steely Dan were the major artists of this decade, as everything they seem to have released in the last 10 years made the list!

BWAHH!HAHA!!

There were only about 2 records on there I'd rank among the best of the decade. I'm not surprised they missed Scott Walker ;-), but nothing by Liars even?

A verrrrrrrrrrrry "middlebrow" list. No metal, no underground anything.
landells
landells
680 posts

Re:
Oct 21, 2009, 00:00
Lawrence wrote:
Well isn't it obvious? It was a crap decade for music overall...

I think you are being a tad too critical there Lawrence: Green Day alone have released 3 great albums in the last decade
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 21, 2009, 20:12
Re:
Oct 21, 2009, 01:11
Indeed. And the White Stripes at number 1?

I reckon the writers who voted for that giant steaming incontinent turkey were the same sort of people who voted in Reagan back in '80.

Conservative rock - that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Reminds me of the time when Q readers voted in "OK Computer " as the best album of all time.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Oct 21, 2009, 01:18
Damn that's sad
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 21, 2009, 10:13
Oct 21, 2009, 10:12
Spot on. It's not remotely generational either, there is very little of worth in the mainstream these days. Genuine creativity isn't nurtured, but actively
discouraged because it does not bring a quick return unlike the aural toilet paper for the terminally moronic that masquerades as music today. For example, the younger Van Morrison is just one example of an artist who had talent and who's potential was realised, respected and invested in long term. It couldn't happen these days. If the music Industry was pretty horrible in the golden period, when there were some enlightened souls around, what about these days ? That feckin' eejit Cowell and his minions of evil distilled have taken us into the bastard love child of Tin Pan Alley and Bobby Soxers in Cyberspace. These modern 'Indy' dudes are bereft of talent, imagination and vision. The very best of them ( contradiction in terms I know ) are a vapid imitation of something done before and far better. Pete Doherty ? Gimme a fucking break. Howling Wolf, Jerry Lee, Woody, Bob, Jim, Iggy and so many more. He and his chums tedious named after utility services and the like should be given hard labour under the Trades Descriptions Act. Om shanti ! :-).
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index