"Tribute" bands

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

"Tribute" bands
Oct 12, 2009, 23:22
now, I know these acts get a not particularly friendly welcome from some round these parts, but......

went to see The Counterfeit Stones t'other night with my son as a birthday treat (turns 12 this Friday), and have to say it was one of the best shows I've seen on the stage!

They moved through the early stuff up to the 90's, using homemade films to cover the costume changes etc, and musically they were proper top notch!

It was so bloody entertaining! My son said it was the best birthday treat he's had apart from Spamalot, and bearing in mind he talked about that for two years.......

So, if you can admit it, which ones would you recommend?
keith a
9573 posts

Re:
Oct 13, 2009, 01:42
I've only seen a couple - The L.A. Doors and T.Rextasy.

Both were enjoyable nights out even if it it felt a bit weird at times. A mate said that the singer in LA Doors looked more like Van Morrison than Jim Morrison, but he sounded really good. And it was good to hear those Doors classics live.

Danielz of T.Rextasy probably over-does the Bolan warble a bit for me, but they're good all the same. And the first time I saw them they were joined on-stage by latter-day T.Rex keyboard player Dino Dines, so it was worth the trip just for that for me! He looked like a man who had enjoyed a few too many sherries by this time, and sadly he died a few years later, but it must have been great for him to have an audience chanting his name approx 25 years after he'd been in T.Rex!
Theaaa
Theaaa
33 posts

Re:
Oct 13, 2009, 19:59
Eardrum wrote:
So, if you can admit it, which ones would you recommend?

Only one I've seen that I'd reccomend is the Sisters of Murphy. Might have to wait around for them to reform, but well worth going to see if they ever do!
Debaser
Debaser
241 posts

Re:
Oct 13, 2009, 23:09
Theaaa wrote:

Only one I've seen that I'd reccomend is the Sisters of Murphy.

I concur...yaaaaaay fer Paddy!

if I whisper this no-one will hear and I'm not sure if they actually count as a tribute band.....

John Lever's Second Skin
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Re:
Oct 14, 2009, 05:57
My daughter (she's 11) and I went to see a Pink Floyd tribute band, "Which One's Pink". She loved it and kept asking "Which one's Syd?" ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCxqARmP46k&feature=related
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re:
Oct 14, 2009, 09:12
Limehouse Lizzy & Nearly Dan spring to mind

love

Moth
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Re:
Oct 14, 2009, 15:58
Seen Think Floyd, Pinc Ffloyd and the Australian Pink Floyd with my son. All perfectly acceptable! Never seen the real Pink Floyd but they couldn't possibly be much better than the Aussie one!
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2009, 18:12
Re:
Oct 14, 2009, 18:09
T.Rexstacy had a really good soprano backing vocalist who also played keys, in their earliest incarnation. I saw them, supported by The Australian Stooges at the Archway Tavern, and have to admit that I couldn't actually tell whether the musician was male or female - and I was standing quite close to the front.

EDIT: I also distinctly remember them kicking off with a rockin' version of 'Jupiter Liar' from the T.REX album 'Futuristic Dragon'.

Another decent tribute band, I've seen - well, probably the only other I've seen, actually was a Stranglers one about five years ago, up in Sheffield.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Re:
Oct 14, 2009, 22:20
Australian Doors were fucking great. the drummer played a lot heavier than densmore but that only leant more to the tribalism of the band as i should think they sounded live.

Boot Led Zeppelin. saw em three or four times and thought they were great when i was a piss head but worked for a mate when he did the sound for them one night in Bath ... i mean bristol...no, i mean Bath and i was sobered up and realised that maybe they were relying on the fact that the audience had to be semi pissed to go with the zeppelin dream flow. they were a bit precious i thunk.

also saw the other tribute Doors with ian astbury singing for em ... not as good as the australian doors. well, having said that ray manzarek's a fucking god so they must've been close.
goosebal
goosebal
256 posts

Re:
Oct 14, 2009, 22:52
Eduardo wrote:
Seen Think Floyd, Pinc Ffloyd and the Australian Pink Floyd with my son. All perfectly acceptable! Never seen the real Pink Floyd but they couldn't possibly be much better than the Aussie one!

Have heard similar about the Ozzie Pink Floyd, better than the real thing say many, including Dave Gilmour but...THIRTY POUNDS to see them in Reading recently. I didn't go but couldn't believe that people would pay that much to see a fake band. That's more than I have ever paid to see a good quality gig and I go fairly often. That's more than Spiritualized at the Royal Albert. I don't get it.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index