Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 October 2009 CE

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 October 2009 CE
Oct 13, 2009, 13:27
That Cages looks fantastic, slipped under my radar but I'll be searching for a copy

If anyone ever gets the chance to see McKeans work in the flesh, I've only seen a couple of bits but its the difference between VHS & DVD, astounding stuff
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 13:33
stray wrote:
Alan Moore on the other hand has a rep for being incredibly controlling of the artwork. Which is why Bill won't work with him anymore, and why 'numbers' never got done.

from what I've seen of Moore's work he has everything planned to the last detail, some of his sketches for League of Extraodinary Gentlemen are so close to the final thing thatthe artist only had to draw the outline a bit bolder.
From the online interviews I've heard/read he does come across as a grumpy old cuss and someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 13:47
machineryelf wrote:

from what I've seen of Moore's work he has everything planned to the last detail,

Definitely, but I think that he got worse, 'Big Numbers' being the crunch point. I mean, it was soon after he started calling himself a magician and there was (allegedly) a lot of geomancy and hidden messages (chaos magick/theory) embedded in the story/artwork of that. Kinda like what Grant Morrison was doing with 'Invisibles' trying to make his work as much of a magical act as a story.

Of course, this all could be part of the marketing tales, chaos magic and the occult was definitely a common theme among the lives of fanboys of the time. Except me of course, I always thought it was horribly internally inconsistent shite ;).

Yeah, he does come accross like a grumpy bastard, but he also comes off as very self deprecating and fully aware of his own flaws.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't that hung up about the artwork to the same level of detail with Halo Jones. This is only a guess.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 14:14
stray wrote:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't that hung up about the artwork to the same level of detail with Halo Jones. This is only a guess.

I'm guessing he was, just couldn't get away with it

as for chaosmagick, I'm sure it has it's uses, it's just other than providing a useful storyline for Nephelim cds its purpose eludes me. Maybe I'm just too darned straitlaced to see it.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 14:22
machineryelf wrote:

as for chaosmagick, I'm sure it has it's uses, it's just other than providing a useful storyline for Nephelim cds its purpose eludes me. Maybe I'm just too darned straitlaced to see it.

Nah, not really. Last I looked, the US followers of it seem obsessed with using it to win Poker games, lotteries etc. Here in the UK a lot of its major proponents have switched to old school tantric practices. Dunno about the rest of europe, apart from the scandinavians where it seems more entwined with new interpretations of Odinist faiths.

Anyway, yeah, if you read any of the main texts on it Liber Null, Psychonaut, Prime Chaos etc you'll see how it.. ermm.. is really badly formed. Its kinda, 'you don't need a system... now go and make one... or erm.. followe mine' They see themselves as the inheritors of Crowleys tradition, and as messed up as he was at least he could construct and hold an argument without contradicting himself too badly.

Yeah, anyway, it's silly, like most occult faiths. The most rational lot seemed to be the IOT, which Burroughs was part of. Still, pretty silly mind you. I mean, why would anyone want to be so elitist ?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 15:35
stray wrote:

Yeah, anyway, it's silly, like most occult faiths. The most rational lot seemed to be the IOT, which Burroughs was part of.

Must have been useful when trying to think up those Warriors of Mars Storylines;-)

Good old Crowley, often wonder if he had not existed would someone else have taken his place as the father of occult buffoonery. Must admit I would love to have met him as he strikes me as a particularly selfish & odious creature and yet a whole bunch of folk then and since seem to have fallen under his spell. Personally I think his magic lay more in the area of publicity and bending it to his will plus loads of drugs, rather than anything involving the spectral realms
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index