COMETS ON FIRE - Blue Cathedral
MILES DAVIS - Big Fun
JAH WOBBLE - I Could Have Been A Contender
THE RAVEONETTES - Pretty In Black / Whip It On
ALAN VEGA - s/t
BASTARDS - Monticello
and finally but by no means least...
CULTURE - In Dub

Many thanks to Keith for his taste and generosity in providing some of the above too !

Oh, couldn't help but read of a new Hope Sandoval release whilst trawling through your posts so thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to hear it !

All the best everyone,

Mark x
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 October 2009 CE
Oct 13, 2009, 08:22
machineryelf wrote:

The Lion King

James Blackshaw-O True Believers, Glass Bead Game went to see James Blackshaw on friday , sure the guy hs a couple of extra fingers tucked away somewhere, absolutely mesmerising, woulda been nice if the dick getting text messages all nite could have put their phone on silent, doubt they'll get to read this but if they do YOU ARE A CUNT!!switch your fucking phone off next time. Actually next time will be SunnO))) , doubt phones will bea worry then ;-) p.s text boy yr still a CUNT!!

LOL ! As funny as that last bit was it didn't amuse me quite as much as the thought of you listening to The Lion King. ;-)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 11:53
bubblehead2 wrote:

it didn't amuse me quite as much as the thought of you listening to The Lion King. ;-)

Only the stageshow dear boy, one would guess that the disney version is unimaginably twee, but how can one resist the smell of the greasepaint, the creak of the boards, the 3 blokes operating the full size elephant costume

once you get past the ''I want to be king/morning report'' amusing intro the Lion King is pretty much fighting,madness & despair til the final scene, which is fine by me

Les Miserables is the king of gloom though, that is unremitting poverty,treachery despair, death and questionable culinary habits from start to finish, it's like listening to Khanate played on a harpsichord
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 12:03
PMM wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

looks almost like one of yours :)

I've been listening to an audiobook of Yann Martel's Life of Pi, all 11 hours of it this week.

I wish, the fellow that draws these is a master, he writes them as well, as far as i know people like McKean,Zulli,Bisley etc need the likes of Moore & Gaiman to give them some worth
Supposedly they have telephone dirctory size books of this stuff coming ot out weekly in Japan, so I suspect we only get to see the best

Audiobooks-can never get away with 'em myself, probably because i find it easier to read than to listen and be distracted by other things
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2009, 12:14
Oct 13, 2009, 12:06
Oh I dunno, I really like McKeans 'Cages'. not cats, cages, doh.
Edit : Also, Bill Sienkiewiczs Stray Toasters is great.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 12:17
stray wrote:
Oh I dunno, I really like McKeans 'Cats'.

Edit : Also, Bill Sienkiewiczs Stray Toasters is great.

Thought the Mckean cat thing was written with some one else, unless i'm thinking of the wrong book, havn't got a link have you

Bill Sienkiewicz-yup your right, did he write the thing about the Sandinista/olly North as well as illustrating it, buggered if I can remember what it was called
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2009, 12:20
Oct 13, 2009, 12:17
don't suppose the graphic novel would work too well in the audiobook format :)

I think you're right, but it cuts both ways. Gaiman and Moore couln't do what they did without someone turning what's in their minds into pretty pictures.

(in my mind, there's a picture of Loki putting a toddler onto a fire, but I can't find the image on the web)
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 13, 2009, 12:22
I think you mean 'Brought into light' and erm.. IIRC Moore wrote that. I have it somewhere, hang on, yup, it was written by Moore.

I actually meant Mckeans 'Cages' its beautiful, I have the original comics of that and keep meaning to track down the graphic novel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cages_%28graphic_novel%29
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2009, 12:26
Oct 13, 2009, 12:25
PMM wrote:

I think you're right, but it cuts both ways. Gaiman and Moore couln't do what they did without someone turning what's in their minds into pretty pictures.

True. Moreso though you have to see how much input the writer has on the panel layouts and content. Gaiman has strong visual ideas about how he wants his story illustrated, but he does allow a fair bit of leeway (judging by the scripts of his I've seen from the early sandmans that got sent to the artists). Alan Moore on the other hand has a rep for being incredibly controlling of the artwork. Which is why Bill won't work with him anymore, and why 'numbers' never got done.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2009, 13:02
Oct 13, 2009, 13:01
NURSE WITH WOUND - Spiral Insana

GUAPO - Elixirs

GENESIS P-ORRIDGE & STAN BINGO - What's History

JOE MEEK & THE BLUE MEN - I Hear A New World**

DAVID BOWIE - Diamond Dogs/At The Beeb

IGGY POP - The Idiot

AUDIENCE - Friend's Friend's Friend

SCORN - Deliverance
A 'maxi single' apparently, all 50 minutes of it!
Good stuff.

SPACE - s/t
Jimmy Cauty's forgotten bliss out

YES - The Yes Album/Fragile
They sounded good before that 'Topographic' shite and beyond!

**Also been consuming the DVD of the film "Telstar".
I'd wanted to see this on a big screen somewhere when it came out, but never got around to it (more like totally forgot about it)
I think it's up there with the best 'music films' out there and Con O'Neill is fantastic in his portrayal of Meek. All round the acting is great.
It seems as though the production team really did their homework and the research they conducted put them in touch with folk who were close to the whole story.
Not much about the "I Hear A New World" material in there, as it's more about his personal life and demons etc., but you do get the feel of Meek's obssession with sound.
Also, I'd been fascinated as a kid by The Honeycombs' "Have I The Right" 45 with that stompin' chorus, so to see a film sequence with people recording the backing track to said stompin' chorus, really was marvellous.
I'm sure many folk have seen this film already, but for those who haven't, then it's very recommended
Get the DVD now!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index