My Cat Is An Alien & Enore Zaffiri : Through The Magnifying Glass Of Tomorrow

Faust : Faust

Faust : So Far
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 October 2009 CE
Oct 11, 2009, 17:09
Mahler 2 (Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw), 3 (Georg Solti/Chicago SO), 6 (Gary Bertini/North German RSO), 7 (Kurt Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus) and 9 (Leonard Bernstein/Berlin PO): I'm on a major Mahler thing at the moment, not sure why: maybe I'm getting the season-change blues. Whatever, I've loved all of these superb recordings, especially the doom-laden Sixth and Ninth: wow;

Kiss 'Sonic Boom' - wherein our heroes get back to doing what they do better then anyone else: prime, sexist, dumb-assed rock and roll at its cliched best, and with a real 70's vibe that shows that they've left their big-haired 80's and 90's mediocrity behind them. This is their best record since 'Love Gun' IMHO;

Mark Knopfler 'Kill To Get Crimson' - typically laid back collection from Cullercoats' finest with just enough heart and soul to cut through the technical perfection. £3 from a dump bin in Sainsbury's: a bargain;

Paul McCartney 'McCartney' and 'Ram' - Macca's first solo outings still sound good after nearly four decades, despite their cosy domestic vibe. The man's never been in such rude vocal form since and there are some class tunes in evidence here, such as 'Maybe I'm Amazed' and 'Back Seat Of My Car'. I went on to play 'Wildlife' as well, but the less said about that the better. Ugh;

Tangerine Dream 'Cyclone' - unfairly maligned first foray into vocal music from the Tangs, featuring in 'Bent Cold Sidewalk' a progressive rock epic of the highest calibre. Great to hear Edgar Froese rock out on guitar again as well. Okay, 'Zeit' it ain't, but this satisfies on its own very different terms;

The Unthanks 'Here's The Tender Coming' - still welded to my CD tray is this marvellous fresh slice of north east folk rock. I could listen to vocals this good for days on end;

Erroll Garner 'Up In Erroll's Room' - one of jazz's most individual pianists at his best with a funky horn section boosting the terminal toe-tapping factor. Wonderful.

Chopin Preludes (Tamás Vásáry) - a lovely way to end a hard day.

Take care out there

Dave
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 11, 2009, 17:20
Volcano Choir - Unmap
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
Spooky Tooth/Pierre Henry - Ceremony (best comedy album ever made!)
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why are There Mountains
The Banana Splits & The Beagles : We're the Banana Splits / Here Come the Beagles
The Russian Futurists - Let's Get Ready to Crumble
Six Organs of Admittance - Shelter from the Ash
Fairport Convention - What we Did on our Holidays
Various - Sounds of the Rainforest
Pram - Helium
Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2009, 21:54
Oct 11, 2009, 19:49
Alice Coltrane - World Galaxy
Art Ensemble - Nice Guys
Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni ba - I Speak Fula
Big Elf - Money Machine
Bill Nelson - Theatre Of Falling Leaves
Black Uhuru - Dub Factor
FSOL - ISDN
La Bradford - Mi Media Naranja
Magma - Live
Magma - Trilogie Au Trianon
Method of Defiance - Nihon
The Tubes - NYE Winterland 75
Uriah Heep - Live
Zazou Bikaye - Noir et Blanc
a23
a23
1004 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2009, 22:10
Oct 11, 2009, 22:01
Coupl; of new releases I've been enjoying this week. Firstly, Hope Sandoval's newie "Through the devil darkly" is a polished gem of a record; woosily atmospheric vocals, sparse guitar, really creates a mood. Best thing she's done for years.
Also very good is Bonfires on the Heath by The Clientele. I have loved this band for years - and this new record is possibly the most consistent of any of their releases. Wistful jangly pop which benefits from some lovely arrangements of brass & strings. Excellent.
Also on my turntable: Gary Numan + Tubeway Army Replicas Redux - good to hear this again and the earlier demo versions of the songs too. Moon Duo Killing Time - a little disappointed by this miniLP, one side is pretty good, the other less so. EmeraldsAllegory of Allergies - side 1 in particular is soooooo good. The Beatles Revolver, Spacemen 3 Perfect Prescription. And another oldie - The Flys- Waikiki Beach Refugees
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Oct 11, 2009, 22:18
Andy Williams - "The Impossible Dream" - inspired by the Andy Williams thread elsewhere

Bit of a theme:

Bauhaus - "Bela Lugosi's Dead" 12"
The Sisters of Mercy - First & Last & Always LP
The Mission - "Serpent's Kiss" 12"

Echo & The Bunnymen - "Pictures on My Wall"/"Read It In Books"; "Rescue"/"Simple Stuff" - classic early singles, putting the new album (out tomorrow) in a pretty poor light I expect

Killing Joke - "Turn To Red"

The Chameleons - 1981 demos from The Fan & The Bellows

Gang of Four - Mall CD, finally got a copy

The Fatima Mansions - "Popemobile To Paraguay" - one of their finest, from final album Lost In The Former West

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain CD

July Skies - The English Cold CD - inspired by Battle of Britain airmen and The Durutti Column, what's not to like?

Kraftwerk - Aerodynamik Mixes CD single

Live: The Cult (Wolverhampton, Thursday), went for a comedy night out, the performance of Love in its entirety was actually pretty good, but somewhat spoiled by an interminable encore and Astbury's "wisdom". Awful support band, whose only redeeming feature was the fact they had a theremin

The Duke String Quartet (King's Place, London) - John Metcalfe led quartet is great acoustic surroundings, performing pieces by Kevin Volans and John Cage

The Durutti Column (King's Place, London) - terrific performance of Paean To Wilson instrumental pieces, plus a brief encore. One of the best Durutti gigs I've been to - haven't listened to the CD yet, but really looking forward to it.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 11, 2009, 22:31
J Geils Band -Live Full house
Gaye Bykers On Acid-Drill yr Own Hole
MC5-KOTJ
Flaming Groovies-Flamingo
Gun Club-Sex Beat 81
Only Ones-Live
Bong-Bethmoora
Basillica-Rotting Desert Queen & the Black Isolator Radar Strip
Diodaar-Black Moon Seige Impression
GYBE-Yanqui UXO
Motorhead-No Sleep Til Hammersmith
The Lion King
Current 93-Soft Black Stars
Fearthainne-S/T
Earthling Tempel-Pilgrimage to Thunderbolt Pagoda what a great CD this is, slow build up from HMT then a coupla of brilliant Hawkwind meet Genesis tracks from Earthling Society then everybody together for a cosmic finale, 5 star rating from me
James Blackshaw-O True Believers, Glass Bead Game went to see James Blackshaw on friday , sure the guy hs a couple of extra fingers tucked away somewhere, absolutely mesmerising, woulda been nice if the dick getting text messages all nite could have put their phone on silent, doubt they'll get to read this but if they do YOU ARE A CUNT!!switch your fucking phone off next time. Actually next time will be SunnO))) , doubt phones will bea worry then ;-) p.s text boy yr still a CUNT!!

finally got vol1,2 & 3 of Uzumaki so I've been immersed in creepy spirals all w/e
you know your on to something good when this is a happy ending
http://media.photobucket.com/image/uzumaki%20manga/Shirikaisin/Blog-PSJ/Uzumaki2.jpg
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Oct 11, 2009, 23:31
manages to listen to some crazy horse n a bit of neil young this week
looking forward to the new hope sandoval
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 12, 2009, 02:16
In rememberance of Robert Kirby {and Nick too} :Bryter Layter C.D.

And cuz i had it out: Julian Cope's Interpreter L.P.

Earlier last week: Mott The Hoople's : Mad Shadows L.P.

Ronnie Hawkins: The Hawk L.P., this one features the guitar and dobro work of none other than Daune Allman

Ronnie Wood : Now Look L.P.

Rory Gallagher : Tattoo L.P.

L.P.'s played on a real stereo system with 4 speakers and a decent turntable/tonearm/cartridge is still the only way to hear music as it was meant to be.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2009, 05:05
Oct 12, 2009, 05:03
David Bowie : Diamond Dogs

Steve Roach : Proof Positive

John Lennon : Mind Games (for his 69th)
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index