Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26 July 2009 CE
Jul 26, 2009, 21:18
Exhale...

This week have grooved to just a few things.
Lots of Wild Swans which has been very well received by brain cells and ear cells

LSD March - Live at the AMS - hmmm one of these super-limited vinyl only releases. Not very keen on side 1 though side 2 is more to my fancy. A band that's lost (most of ) its mojo if you ask me.

Crystal Stilts - Alight at night - plenty of mojo resident here. Monstrously good.

Moon Duo - Love on the sea - I don't know which memebers of the Shjips this lot are, but it's a damn fine 12" which might as well just be the Shjips full line up. You know the score - title track is that mix of Neu motorik and Velvets "what goes on" scuzzy rhythm. Fine fine fine

Black Sheep - KMSA CD version

Fushitsusha - 1st - irritating this one - some sublimely good bits interspersed with unmelodic and frankly uninteresting noise.

Rebecca Joy Sharp - the mystery workshop ep - saw this glasgow harpist lass supporting the wild swans on friday - lovely melodies and sharply observed moments
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Jul 26, 2009, 21:47
Andrew Lloyd Webber, An Ole Crab
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 26, 2009, 22:11
LP’S
UNCONFIRMED REPORTS - Akatombo
New release from Japan-based Scot who released a rather good album on Colin Newman’s Swim label some years ago. Dark and dense at times, though there is one rather funky number in the middle. Good stuff on initial plays I must say.

HONEYSKY – Guitar
German duo I think. I was expecting it to be more groove based from what I had heard, but some of it’s acoustic and it definitely has shoe-gazey moments. Not bad at all though.

TRUST – Low
Some beautiful stuff here. Some of my fave Low numbers in fact.

THE MYSTERY WORKSHOP - Rebecca Joy Sharp
Bought this at a Wild Swans gig as I’d loved one of her tracks on Thursday (I missed her on Fri unfortunately). Well worth the money, because this spoken voice/harp set really is lovely.

INTERVISION – Jimi Tenor
Hearing this again it comes across as a bit of a mixed bag I guess, but there are three tracks – Outer Space, Wiping Out and Sugardaddy – that I really love.

REJOICE REJOICE – Transglobal Underground
“Egyptian pharaohs fell from the sky and played the blues”. Love it!

THE ROOTS OF THE SEX PISTOLS – V/A
Decent old magazine freebie with Jonathan Richman, Paul Revere, Dave Berry, Can, etc.

MAGNITUDE / INCANDESCENT – The Wild Swans
In anticipation of the gig. Hadn’t looked forward to a gig this much in some time!

TAKE ME TO GOD – Jah Wobble’s Invaders of the Heart
A bit patchy this one I think. Jah probably overdoes the nattering TBH, but tracks like Whisky Priest and I’m An Algerian are fab.

ALSO...
PRIMARY COLOURS – The Horrors
HEMPTON MANOR – The Shamen
ALLOY – Silo
EARLY RECORDINGS – Link Wray

45’s
BREAKING POINT – Bourgie Bourgie
LET THE TRIBE GROW – Fini Tribe
IT HURTS – Lotus Eaters
GOODBYE - Seeland
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jul 26, 2009, 23:04
Jul 26, 2009, 22:48
Various - Otherliness (host) plus a load of DVDs received from Ron Wright - senior lecturer in sound at Hallam Uni, Sheffield.....check out his stuff here...
http://www.ronwright.org/

Clock DVA - the tapes 78-81

Annie Whitehead's Soupsongs Live 2001

New Order - live at platos ballroom, liverpool 81

Merzbow - Merzbox - up to Annihiloscillator

Gig of the week: Mayming at moon landing show, Islington Mill, Salford - forget the rest, they're the best.
Historical highlight of the week: having a look through the late Rob Gretton's personal archive of factory posters which are currently being drip fed onto ebay and selling at silly prices- joy division at bains douches - sold tonite at £777.77.

8)
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jul 27, 2009, 04:04
Beach walking to Mark Fry’s 1972 Dreaming with Alice. Mostly a nice Amon Duul 1 type jam, acoustic songs that would inspire Mojave 3’s Neil Halstead some thirty years later and a bit of weird electronica. Not at all bad for a summer spin.

Pearls Before Swine. The soundtrack for the birth of my kids a few years ago.

Donovan’s 1970 Open Road

And some Wild Swans as it must have been a great show.
Sun Of Bytch
Sun Of Bytch
143 posts

Jul 27, 2009, 05:14
ernesto-black sheep
like a motherfucker-lamf
twilight of the motherfuckers-rite now

thas plenty!!
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 27, 2009, 07:31
is it that time of the week already!

aha so its been the kinks still - live at kelvin hall is well worth a listen especially the rawness of the mono version

the who - early albums so far - the first one (my generation) is well good and theres are a couple of tracks well ahead of their time
a quick one - dunno about that but it pales after the first one
sell out - the mono version works ok compared to the stereo one
tommy - ba enjoyed the first half then the second half falls short
next - a good one and the live attached bonus set of the deluxe item is indeed rather good ......
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2009, 11:47
Jul 27, 2009, 11:28
Carmel - "The Falling"
In their infancy Carmel were a great live band destined to make pretty dull albums but this record from 86 is a cracker. I used to go and see them at both the LMC on the one hand and New Romantic pose-holes like Club For Heroes on the other. Which pretty much sums up their problem - was this band going to end up being Swing Out Sister or Fontella Bass with the AAC? This was a problem that on record could make them come out like a less blase and Eurotrashy version of Allez Allez. That said "The Falling" actually sounds like a prototype for an imaginary uptempo Julee Cruise / Badalamenti record. Although Carmel was much more of a soul shouter than Ms Cruise it sounds like a "Mulholland Drive" mutation of Stax and Hi with a bit of a Herbaliser / Money Mark for the jazzers. Duffy eat yer heart out (not that she should care). And there's some Eno-tronics in there for you Art Rock fiends.

Joëlle Léandre/Marilyn Crispell/Paul Lovens/Richard Teitelbaum/Carlos Zingazo - "Joelle Leandre Project"
Around the age of 20 I was more than a bit obsessed with Joelle Leandre and her upright bass. I saw her at the Bloomsbury with Derek Bailey in 82 ish after reading an article in Collusion magazine (which makes The Wire look like Record Mirror) and was an instant devotee. This isn't necessarily the single most brilliant showcase for her playing but it's a nice ensemble improv record and the only one of hers I can lay my hands on without sending out a search party or buying a new turntable.

Here's some more about her.
http://spiritualarchives.blogspot.com/2008/02/artists-jolle-landre.html

Talking of obsessions, up to that point my bass heroes had been Jack Bruce, Charlie Haden, Tina Weymouth and Chris Squire.....

Yes - "The Fish" bass solo from "Yessongs"
This the very opposite of the (un)popular view of Prog. Contains more naked aggression than the entire Fugazi catalogue and as much grace as say "Another Green World". I have to mention this because when you listen to it in detail (as I did the other day) you can hear sections that have been nicked by all kinds of people from 10CC to XTC to Radiohead. Funny how one man's half a bar ends up being the basis for someone else's 7 minutes. Very Brian Eno that.

also this week .....

Miles Davis - Get Up With It
Steve Reich - Different Trains
Jon Hassell - Vernal Equinox
Eno and the Winkies - BBC session
The Mars Volta - Somerset House July 13 2009
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jul 27, 2009, 13:24
A Place to Bury Strangers Live. Haven't been able to hear anything else since then.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Jul 27, 2009, 13:37
Pardon?
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index