Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2009, 12:42
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 12 July 2009 CE
Jul 13, 2009, 12:39
Earthling Society - Albion
Only just got round to getting a copy of this, silly me. Sounding better and better with each listen. I wish I'd got their other albums before they sold out now. Stupid Squid.

Camel - Moonmadness
My current fave. I've been very much in the mood for this gentle prog sound lately.

Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse (vinyl)
Rather underwhelmed by this so far, I must admit. I need to listen to it more though. So far Holy's side is my favourite. Overall though first impressions leave me a bit cold, especially after loving Unruly Imagination and Wasted Fuzz so much.

Motorhead - No Sleep Till Hammersmith
We went to see them on Friday at Guilfest. Splendid fun :-)

Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Also on at Guilfest. They were pretty good, although not mind-gogglingly brilliant or anything. Had this album on a few times to introduce the Squidlings to them, and I have to say it still sounds rather good after all these years. I can't remember why we were all supposed to dislike them in the 70s either!

Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
Another gentle(ish) prog album which is getting plenty of airtime at Tempest Towers.

Astra - The Weirding
Not sounding quite so brilliant as it did for the first few plays, but worthwhile nonetheless.

Teardrops - Kilimanjaro, Wilder
Not listened to these for some time. We had a great sing-a-long in the car :-)

Third Ear Band - Alchemy/Elements
One to annoy the family with! I love this folk/weird/mantra thing though.

Nadja - Radiance of Shadows
Still my current fave ambient grindcore album ;-)

Hawkwind - Doremi
As fab as ever.

White Hills - Heads on Fire
Rah! Wonderful stuff.

Graham Nash - Reflections
3 CD box set from the library. Haven't listened to it all yet, but so far this sounds a lovely comp. And what a nice set it is too - splendid full colour booklet.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2009, 12:55
Jul 13, 2009, 12:49
keith a wrote:

EMPIRES & DANCE – Simple Minds
This is how the future used to sound! Indeed, it’s easy to forget how good this lot once were. If they had split any time before 1987 then they would surely be revered in a way they can only dream about now. And if they’d split after Sons & Fascination, well they could well have the same aura about them as, say, Magazine.

Bang on Keith, although it would be hard to imagine for some younger HHers amongst us, Magazine, Ultravox! and Simple Minds were usually lumped together in the UK press and referenced in various speculations of where music was heading (regarding 'alternative music' that is) from late 1977 to late 1978.
Then thanks to Sandy Robertson and Jon Savage of Sounds early on during that time, the constant plugging of what they coined 'New Musick' (i.e. Suicide, TG, Wire, Pere Ubu, Cabs, Residents, Devo to name a few), not forgetting Peel's constant support of The Fall and Joy Division (and all points inbetween) during 1979 onwards , the whole UK post-punk scene became die-cast with a benchmark that had a real contemporary edge.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 13:13
Trades Roots Live - A wonderful collection of recent recordings made at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge featuring Steve Tilston, Chris Smither, Robin Williamson, Wizz Jones, Flossie Malavialle, Jez Lowe, Pete Morton, Stephen Fearing, Clive Gregson, Martha Tilston, Michael Chapman, Duck Baker, Kirsty McGee and Steve Ashley. Available to buy here I recommend this.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 14:20
blimey, Duck Baker. I haven't come across that name for ages, I've got a fab old LP by him.
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 15:06
v/a - The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of
John Martyn - Bless the Weather
v/a - Unearthed: Liverpool Cult Classics Vol.3
Elvis Presley - 1956
Earth/Radio - Live LP
Omar Souleyman - Dabke 2020
Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow
Joy Division - Heart and Soul
Robert Hood - Fabric 39
Sea Donkeys - Live at the SS Marie Antoinette
National Health - Of Queues And Cures
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 16:25
Kid Calamity wrote:
IanB wrote:
I've actually completely forgotten why we weren't supposed to like them back then. Was it the lack of overt politics that did for them or was it the strippers and the hells angel security types?

I suspect it was because the NME deemed them 'old'.

Actually this is quite illuminating. We were simple people ...

http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/Stranglerssexism.htm
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 16:33
Well as I said on the Village Pump I bought the Wipers' remastered Youth of America on vinyl -- it was my birthday anyways.

And my Aunt Vonnie just handed me down most of her record collection -- alot of it Indian music (which I haven't gotten to yet.) Just heard the first Procol Harum album last night (good) and just now playing the Concert for Bangladesh box set with George Harrison which sounds better than I expected it to be with Eric Crapton all over it... Liked the Indian stuff at the beginning so far.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 16:33
Fair enough: one man's meat, and all that.

But howay...'Mad Mad Judy' and 'You Know You Can't Help It'? If it wasn't for the even naffer 'Love Is Lies' on the previous album they'd both be serious qualifiers for the worst ever Buzzcocks song. The latter sounds like a sex abuser justifying his actions and frankly gives me hives. Is it coincidence that Jon Savage doesn't even mention it in his sleevenotes for the latest remastered edition?

I loved 'Autonomy', mind. And 'Fast Cars' - which apparently is a Diggle song misattributed to Shelley/Devoto.
Seatown
71 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2009, 16:58
Jul 13, 2009, 16:57
Electric Dirt...Levon Helm
Workingman's Dead...Grateful Dead
Sketches of Spain...Miles Davis
Wilco(the album)
David Crosby...If only I could remenber my name
Terry Reid...The river
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 17:23
I never get tired of hearing Can't Buy A Thrill.

It was the first Steely Dan album i owned, and i still don't think that they bettered it, although Countdown To Ecstacy run it a close second....erm...then again, Katy Lied and Pretzel Logic are pretty gre....Oh i give up!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index