Magma : Floe Essi / Ektah
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2009, 03:13
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 12 July 2009 CE
Jul 12, 2009, 02:52
Stand outs this week include...

JG THIRLWELL - Venture Brothers Soundtrack - Wonderful noirish stuff, influences apparent ( Hermann / Carpenter / Morricone ) but still recognisably Foetal. If you've heard Steroid Maximus you'll know the score .
Probably best played wearing a Gaberdine mac with the collar turned up whilst sat in a Studebaker.

FOETUS - Limb ( CD / DVD ) - Collection of mostly unreleased early 80's instrumentals. Can certainly hear a Residential inflence on some of the tracks, further investigations required but i'm finding this easier to digest than i thought i might. If you're a Foetus fan, the DVD's a rather good oversight of his career in music, interviewees including Lydia Lunch, Richard Kern, Matt Johnson ( the usual suspects, then ).

THE FIELD - Yesteday & Today - Less enamoured with this after last weeks enthusiastic post. Could be due to the night shifts and upset Circadian rhythms, or maybe, it's just a little too repetitive and drawn out for my tastes. That said, epic 16 minute final track Sequenced is still doing the biz for me.

Still playing the CDR of SPRINGSTEEN's darkly yearning version of Dream Baby Dream that Keith was kind enough to send. Nicely juxtaposed with a live and decidedly more scary SUICIDE version of the same tune. If you read this mate, are the other tracks on the CDR from the Blast First Petite 10" series of releases ( i llke pretty much everything on the disc BTW ) ?

In-car entertainment this week has been provided by the 13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS and an excellent job they've done too. Special mention for the lysergic space boogie that is Earthquake !

Coming soon, COPE / BLACK SHEEP / WHITE HILLS....

Have a good week everyone,

Mark x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2009, 09:27
Jul 12, 2009, 09:24
Sa-Ra Creative Partners - Nuclear Evolution
Hadn't heard of this until last week. Eye opening and totally fucked up production which is kind of Matmos meet Bootsy via A Tribe Called Quest. Which leads me back to ....

The Herbaliser - Same As It Never Was
What a great band. One of our best and least celebrated. A real west London sounding record but don't let that put you off.

Dub Colossus - A Town Called Addis
Beardy baldy hipster world music may not be your cuppa but this lot were absolutely storming at Dingwalls in the week (great audience too) and the album is a really nice summer soundtrack if a bit bass lite to be a dub classic.

Eno - Apollo Atmospheres
Buzz Aldrin at the RFH was a bit of a let-down (though how much is too much to pay to share a room with a Christopher Columbus or Marco Polo?) but the BBC shows have been excellent. Not least the showing of "For All Mankind". The music is mixed a little quiet on the DVD so the record is well worth buying as well. One of Eno's most enduring ambient releases.

Talking Heads - Fear of Music & Osibisa - Woyaya
Two different takes on African infused rock and roll. Osibisa could have been as big as Santana. This is their best record and "Fear of Music" still sounds fresh and hungry. A band on the cusp of the big time and knowing it.

Fred Neil - Fred Neil
John Martyn - Solid Air (2 disc expansion)
Heartworn Highways OST
No week is complete without something to tug at the heartstrings. Interesting to hear "Solid Air" as a work in progress.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 12, 2009, 12:04
csn - demos - rather good too
kinks - village green preservation society - never really bothered with the kinks in all my explorations but this one is rather good
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2009, 13:38
Jul 12, 2009, 12:11
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why Are There Mountains
Unashamedly epic-sounding indie/post-rock that manages to transcend its obvious derivativeness by bringing a playful joie de vivre that isn't too commonplace in their chosen genre. From New York, inevitably - the city seems to be on an unwavering mission to take back the debt owed by many UK 80s indie bands to the Velvet Underground by similarly plundering their offspring for inspiration. Can hear a lot of MBV, Jesus & Mary Chain and even Modest Mouse in here.

Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls & Marches
"That's When I Reach For My Revolver" still has the power to send a chill up my back all those years laer.

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World
A reminder to anyone who thought that Bowie only rocked out with the embarassing Tin Machine - he's done it before, y'know, although he never did it as convincingly as this ever again. Towers above the over-rated "Ziggy Stardust" to my ears.

Trashmonk - Mona Lisa Overdrive
Surprisingly raw solo effort from Nick Laird-Clowes (formerly of the somewhat effete-sounding Dream Academy) that cuts back on the preciousness of his former band and mines the early Lennon solo catalogue for inspiration, albeit with a distinctly 90s-sounding array of samples and rhythm loops. Which brings me to...

Portishead - Dummy
Such a well-trodden classic that I wondered if it would still convince 15 years aftre the fact. It does, despite having 1994 virtually written all over it in indelible ink. Ah, those halcyon days of being broke, doing irregular cash-in-hand work and playing in bands that split up after 18 months with zero to show for it. Do I miss it? Do I f***! Nostalgia was never really what it used to be.

Husker Du - The Living End
Live swansong from arguably the most influential cult band of the 80s. Captures the relentless blitzkreig of their shows pretty well, from what I remember, although it's not as essential as any of their last five studio albums.

The Stranglers - The Collection 1977-1982
Uncool, yes - but it's aged better than some of the more cutting-edge punk artifacts of its time, possibly because they shamelessly plundered 60s garage-punk for inspiration and never affected the dubious year-zero attitude adopted by the Sex Pistols. And over here in the red corner, we have...

The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour
The album without which Pavement would never have existed, probably to Mark E Smith's eternal chagrin.

The Flaming Lips - Hit to Death in the Future Head
I know a lot of folk on here don't rate them much, and I'll admit to having been unmoved by most of "At War With the Mystics" myself, but this is a seamless masterpiece that serves as a necessary reminder of what a great band they once were. A riot of candy-coloured pop melodies buried under layers of perverse sonic scuzziness which prove that some bands actually benefit from moving the increased recording budget afforded by moving to a major label.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 12, 2009, 15:11
bubblehead2 wrote:
Stand outs this week include...

JG THIRLWELL - Venture Brothers Soundtrack - Wonderful noirish stuff, influences apparent ( Hermann / Carpenter / Morricone ) but still recognisably Foetal. If you've heard Steroid Maximus you'll know the score .
Probably best played wearing a Gaberdine mac with the collar turned up whilst sat in a Studebaker.

FOETUS - Limb ( CD / DVD ) - Collection of mostly unreleased early 80's instrumentals. Can certainly hear a Residential inflence on some of the tracks, further investigations required but i'm finding this easier to digest than i thought i might. If you're a Foetus fan, the DVD's a rather good oversight of his career in music, interviewees including Lydia Lunch, Richard Kern, Matt Johnson ( the usual suspects, then ).

Been listening to the Manorexia stuff this past week, so I must investigate these, thanks for the tip-offs Bubba ;-)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 12, 2009, 16:10
COIL - Unnatural History I and II / Music To Play In the Dark 1 and 2
What a marvellous team they were.

TUXEDOMOON - Divine
This was a soundtrack they did for a ballet by some bloke named Bejart in 1982.
They always seem to maintain that sense of the unexpected, especially after their first few releases.

MANOREXIA - The Radolerian Ooze
Ol' mr. Thirlwell has got a great talent indeed.

THE COMSAT ANGELS - Sleep No More
A blast from the past and of its time, but I hadn't heard this for yonks and was struck by how good the production is on this album and other Comsat recordings.
This lead me to do a search on the producer in question, Peter Wilson, who also did work for Sham 69, The Style Council and The Ukrainians!

THE NIGHTINGALES - Pigs On Purpose
After spending a soiree at the gaff of our Keith A and hearing some excellent 'gales discs, I got hold of this gem from 1982. I'd heard it before and had the excellent 'Paraffin Brain' 45, but giving the album a really concentrated listen, there is work of excellence afoot!

V/A - Vox Tribute to the Films of Quentin Tarantino
Again, the result of the above soiree.

ULTRAVOX! - Ha! Ha! Ha!
I dug this out after hearing "Young Savage" on that film trailer for 'Awaydays'
As the older folk on here will recall, this group were quite promising when John Foxx was with them, then ol' Widge Ure steered them to cringe inducing heights =8-[ ]
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2009, 20:11
Jul 12, 2009, 20:07
Popel Vooje wrote:
The Stranglers - The Collection 1977-1982
Uncool, yes - but it's aged better than some of the more cutting-edge punk artifacts of its time, possibly because they shamelessly plundered 60s garage-punk for inspiration and never affected the dubious year-zero attitude adopted by the Sex Pistols. And over here in the red corner, we have...

The first album still sounds great. It's up there with "Damned Damned Damned" for me.

I've actually completely forgotten why we weren't supposed to like them back then. Was it the lack of overt politics that did for them or was it the strippers and the hells angel security types?

I saw them at The Roundhouse and remember really liking The Dictators and The Pop Group and being a bit under whelmed by the headliners. Being young my mind may have already been poisoned against them by the NME and Sounds and yet 30 years on the first few records stand up pretty well. A lot better than say "Power In The Darkness", "Give Em Enough Rope" or "This Is The Modern Word"!
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Jul 12, 2009, 20:08
You've probably found it already but audio snippets can be heard here....

Click on shop and then on preview for the records in question...

http://www.foetus.org/

John Zorn's mini-review nails it better than i ever could.

Being seeing you soon anyway so more then !
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Jul 12, 2009, 20:14
IanB wrote:
I've actually completely forgotten why we weren't supposed to like them back then. Was it the lack of overt politics that did for them or was it the strippers and the hells angel security types?

I suspect it was because the NME deemed them 'old'.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index