Jul 12, 2009, 21:04
Cheers Bubbs! ;-)
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 12 July 2009 CE
Jul 12, 2009, 21:46
Black Sheep- Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse.

Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts from the British Empire and Beyond.

The Bee Gees- Massachusetts.

Lee 'Scratch' Perry- Spiritual Healing.

New Order- Movement.

Hazel O'Connor- Breaking Glass.

The Pooh Sticks- Formula One Generation.

Ramona Falls- Intuit.

Lovvers- OCD Go Go Go Girls.

Alt- White Out EP.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2009, 23:26
Jul 12, 2009, 23:24
Soft Machine 'Six' and 'Seven' - two good fusion albums not as lacking in charm as their post-Wyatt reputation has bequeathed. The former is a fine testament of Hugh Hopper's superbly musical bass technique. Lovely;

Hatfield and the North 'Live 1990' - well recorded live recording from the Dave Stewart-less TV concert, featuring a fine Pip Pyle ditty in 'Shipwrecked' here sung much more emotively by Richard Sinclair than the Jakko performance that graced the drummer's later solo LP;

Caravan 'Cool Water' - belatedly released 'lost' album betwixt 'Better By Far' and 'The Album', highlighting once again the pop sensibilities of the terminally underrated Pye Hastings;

Buzzcocks 'A Different Kind Of Tension' - well, side two anyway (Steve Diggle's contributions on the first side are dreadful). The sequence of unabated, drug dripping paranoia that is 'I Don't Know What To Do With My Life', 'Money', 'Hollow Inside', the title track and 'I Believe' shows Pete Shelley at his intense, creative best. I've found most of the Buzzcocks' post-Devoto output to have dated badly to my ears, but not this;

Nick Lowe 'At My Age' - wherein Brentford's finest reels off one perfectly crafted pop song after another as if they just grew on trees. Take your place behind Pye in the unsung queue, Mr Lowe;

Clive Gregson 'The Best Of' - and, at risk of repeating myself, here's another great British tunesmith with a compilation that for once lives up to its name. Fine introduction to an extensive and consistent back catalogue;

Cluster 'Cluster II' - well, you can't expect me to wallow in melody for ever. And if I want to get atonal, this is about as good as it gets. Strangely enough, I find this incredibly moving in places, and I don't really know why.

That's about it for me. I'm off to the land of grey and pink for my annual Kent Beer Festival binge this week. And no way will I be drooling over the Blondie tribute act that traditionally graces the opening night. No way at all.

Have a great week, all

Dave
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2009, 00:46
Jul 13, 2009, 00:42
" (Steve Diggle's contributions on the first side are dreadful). "

sorry have to disagree - i think 'Sitting round at home' is up there with the best of them.

8)
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 01:17
Yes. The first two ep's (Bruce followed by The Horrors) were issued somewhere along the line on one 'radio promo' cd. So the first 3 tracks - Bruce, Suicide (DBD), Beat The Devil are on the first, whilst The Horrors, Suicide (Radiation) and Nik Void are on the other.

Not sure the others have been issued on cd for promo's, but they may have. I'm loving this set so far - it'd make a lovely compilation at the end of it!
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 01:28
LP’S

ABSOLUTELY (THE BEST OF...) – ABC
Sure those fab first four 45’s are here in all their glory, but some of the later stuff is really good, too. Must admit I really like King Without A Crown.

HARDER THAN THE REST – Culture
One of my all-time fave LP’s. Love the organ sound on Iron Sharpening Iron!

AGHARTA - Miles Davis
I like the more urgent funky moments of Prelude rather than when it gets more fiddly.

A SEA WITH THREE STARS – Nectarine No. 9
A mixed bag, but the closing track Chocolate Swastika is a bit of a gem, with Davey Henderson going back the more poppy sound of his Win days.

PIGS ON PURPOSE / LIVE IN PARIS – The Nightingales
With POP’s Don’t Blink sounding esp fab.

EMPIRES & DANCE – Simple Minds
This is how the future used to sound! Indeed, it’s easy to forget how good this lot once were. If they had split any time before 1987 then they would surely be revered in a way they can only dream about now. And if they’d split after Sons & Fascination, well they could well have the same aura about them as, say, Magazine.

EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP – Sparks
Not a dull moment. Another top notch LP from the Brothers Mael.

CAN’T BUY A THRILL – Steely Dan
The first time I ever went to an over 18’s nightclub there was a band playing cover versions. I can’t remember anything about them except that they played Do It Again. At that point it was a song I’d heard but didn’t know its title, who it was by, or what the right words were, so finding out what it was proved difficult. Didn’t enjoy this LP as much as I used to TBH, but I still love DIA.

DUE TO A LACK OF INTEREST, TOMORROW HAS BEEN CANCELLED (Head Heritage Sampler 2005) – V/A
I don’t recall liking The New Lou Reeds track as much as I do now. The White Hills track is, of course, utterly marvellous.

THE WORLD OF HITS VOL 4 – V/A
Decca label compilation (which unusually in those pre-Ronco/K-TEL/Arcade days, featured the original artists) was one of the few pop LP’s that my parents had. I think my sister has claimed that copy, but I managed to get one off ebay recently. Lovely to have it – the cover is so of its time in a gloriously daft kind of way. And there’s some good tracks, too, c/o Amen Corner, Small Faces, and Frijid Pink’s psych take on House Of The Rising Sun. And as for the opening Marmalade track Reflections Of My Life – well I expected to enjoy it in a kitsch, nostalgic kinda way, but no – it’s a great slice of late 60’s Beatle-ish pop with a George Harrison-like solo and basslines that Macca would have been proud of. Admittedly I could do without Dana, but then I’m suspecting that was the reason my parents bought it in the first place, so I won’t complain.

THE GIVEN – Colin Verncombe
New album from the Black singer, available as a free download from his website. There’s an option of going back to give a donation which I intended doing, but I don’t think I’m gonna bother as I’m not sure I’ll ever play this again. This is a man who once sang More Than The Sun, a glorious single which I still play on a regular basis. This, however, is the sound of someone going through motions. And lines like ‘Try living as a Boxcar gypsy’ really grate. For god’s sake, Colin. You’re from Liverpool! Sure the voice still sounds OK on some numbers, but this is bland and disappointing.

GIANT – The Woodentops
So good to hear this one again. Timeless stuff. Enjoyed it so much I played it again straight after.

Also...
BIG SCIENCE – Laurie Anderson
TENDER PREY /ABATTIOR BLUES & THE LYRE OF ORPHEUS – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
THE BAR AT THE END OF THE WORLD – Lupine Howl
101 DRONES – MyBroken101
METAL SHADOWS – Siouxsie & the Banshees
THE SOUND OF THE CROWD – V/A
PULP FICTION – V/A
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 01:49
Thanks for the info, i was gonna say i hope they eventually get compiled on CD as the Springsteen one's going for £25 on Amazon but i just logged onto Cargo Records who've got a limited restock at £7, needless to say i've ordered one, and unsurprisingly, the Sunn O))) one in the same series too.

Oh, Cornucopea, great stuff, cheers !
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2009, 10:15
Jul 13, 2009, 10:10
Kid Calamity wrote:
IanB wrote:
I've actually completely forgotten why we weren't supposed to like them back then. Was it the lack of overt politics that did for them or was it the strippers and the hells angel security types?

I suspect it was because the NME deemed them 'old'.

Ha! I know Jet Black is in his 70s now but I'd lay good money that many of the key people in the US punk scene (not to mention Nick Kent and CSM) were as old or older than JJB and Hugh Cornwell. Pretty selective age-ism if that's what it was!
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 10:51
IanB wrote:

The first album still sounds great. It's up there with "Damned Damned Damned" for me.

I always thought it was a patchy affair. Actually sold it in 1977, but that because I needed the money to get to Marc Bolan's funeral. (I was still in school)

Bought it again a few years later. Played it a year or so ago and it seemed even patchier. When it's good (Hanging Around, the singles) it's really good, but I never particularly liked, say, Ugly. And Princess Of The Street, which was one of my favourites when I was 16, made me feel uncomfortable.

They did make some great singles, though. The likes of No More Heroes and their cover of Walk On By have aged really well.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 13, 2009, 11:00
ZZ Top Rancho Texicano disc 1
Nice selection of the 70s material by Texas boogiemen. Really enjoying this, not sure if I'd heard Just Got Paid Today in its studio original, do know the Rapeman cover. Still wondering what the story was on Rapeman wanting to call their lp ZZ Top's First Lp.
Oh yeah, was thinking the bandname lost something if you pronounced it the English way, so wonder if anybody does.

Synanthesia
lovely acid folky lp with predominant flute/woodwind. This has been sitting on a pile beside me as I sit aty the computer for months, think I was prompted to play it by the Record collector article on Acid Folk. Glad I did.

Caspar Brotzmann Massaker Koksofen
pretty visceral lp, not as hard hitting as Home far as I can see. Still pretty amazing in places, finally got it on cd after losing my vinyl years back.

Smokey Robinson My World
pretty decent compi of Dylan's onetime favourite poet. Even the later stuff that opens the lp is pretty good. I haven't really looked at his work after the 60s before, don't think I'm going to be rushing to buy things after that but do think he still had it to some extent.
rhythm tracks on some of the 60s stuff sound a bit odd, like they've been redone or seriously remixed though.

13th Floor Elevators Sign Of The 3 eyed Men
Think I've listened through the whole of this now. Very very nice to finally have pretty much everything. Some revelations, like hearing how good the Contact stuff sounds sans crowd noise overdubs
and a semi decent sounding Bull Of The Woods.
only thing that could've made this set more perfect would be the inclusion of The Spades single and a t-shirt.

Spirit Clear
Had got into bits of this lp before I left London 20 odd years back. Haven't really heard it since and am now realising how much I loved it, the instrumental Ice especially. But overall, I think i should stop neglecting the band.

Jah Shaka meets The Revolutionaries Sensi dub 5
pretty exemplary early 90s dub a bit less murky/cloudy than its 70s ancestor but still great.

Giannis Markopoulos No Mr Robinson
looking through the Other section in Demonoid I came across a torrent of material by this composer who I knew from getting an lp cheap from the miscellaneous section of my local 2nd hand shop 2 decades back. Far as I remember that had a different title on it, but looking at individual track titles on downloading it seemed to be the same music. Listened and it was, so I've just rediscovered a somewhat favourite lp I've been missing for 13 years.
Great mass chiming bouzouki etc runs,quite hypnotic in places. I think that's what I liked about Savage Republic too though with electricity added.

Alphonse Mouzon Mind Transplant
deeply funky mid 70s session with Tommy Bolin among the guitarists.
Something of a response to Spectrum by Billy Cobham, which also features Bolin who was also purpling at the time.

several other bits and pieces I can't think of now.
Stevo
Np Alphonse Mouzon Mind Transplant Happiness Is Loving You
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index