Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Michael Jackson's dead
Jun 26, 2009, 09:38
R.I.P.

It was very sad when they showed old footage of him with his brothers singing "Rockin' Robin" on the news last night.

I've always thought The Jackson 5's "Skywriter" was one of the best 45s of 1973 imho.
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 10:26
Yes.
R.I.P. Michael
Far too young to die.

xx
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 10:48
I claim my bottle of Lambrini.
I said yonkers ago he would come up with some shite excuse for not playing the O2 gigs.
Had to call a Jambulance because he couldn't afford a canoe.

:o)
ron
ron
706 posts

the king is dead...
Jun 26, 2009, 11:48
Vybik Jon wrote:

1. Children are a little bit safer.

2. Parents can breathe a little easier.

3. Over the next week when there will be fuck all else in the news, keep an eye on the nasty stuff that governments will try to sneak out.

thanks for bringing some levity to the conversation...

btw... ms. ron agrees with you 110%... 'an uknow she's usually bee rite...

x
x
x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 12:10
First of all, he was undeniably extremely talented.
Secondly, he was hugely culturally important and influential.
Thirdly, he was incredibly fucked up.

I dunno. Sky and Steven Wells have me more upset. Jackson dying is one of those crazy sociological phenomenons like Diana's death. I see that it's a big thing but it doesn't touch me personally. I remember when Diana died, it was just a few weeks after Burroughs. We lost one of ours, they lost one of theirs, a friend said. This seems similar, with Sky Saxon.

I don't know if he was a child abuser or not- as a journalist, I did research it a few years ago and although he's officially innocent, the evidence to me looked pretty damning, and I really wanted him to be genuinely innocent- but I have to admit that I'm more interested in him because he was a crazy freak than I would be if he'd been a wholesome pop performer. The only records of his I own are a couple of Jackson 5 singles, but you can't just dismiss him with a sick joke.

Odd that it should happen at the start of Glastonbury Weekend- back in the days when going to Glasto meant that you really were cut off from the outside world for 4 days, this would be one of those rumours that would sweep the site and no-one would know if it were true. These days- well. I wonder who'll be the first band to slip in a cover as a tribute?

Personally I'd like to hear Neil Young do a medley of 'Billie Jean' and 'Can't Seem To Make You Mine.'
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: the king is dead...
Jun 26, 2009, 12:12
"thanks for bringing some levity to the conversation..."

Are you serious?

Wouldn't say that post you comment on was light or free of earnestness at all. It struck me as an assumption based on inconclusiveness and a wave of public feeling. Very tabloid. Very knee jerking - which is what I was accused of by agreeing with Geoff before the post was edited to say 'la la la...' etc.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 12:32
"I remember when Diana died, it was just a few weeks after Burroughs. We lost one of ours, they lost one of theirs"

Can't agree with you on the 'one of theirs, one of ours' thing as I don't see the world or people as exclusive or higher beings, especially in the case of burroughs...
First of all, he was undeniably extremely talented.
Secondly, he was hugely culturally important and influential.
Thirdly, he was incredibly fucked up.
Forthly, he killed his wife.
Fiftly, he fed his habit by draining his brother and family of money.

He also died at a ripe old age.

Some would argue that he pursued a life of extreme self satisfaction with disregard for humanity.

8)
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 13:09
Just sayin'.

It's a fact that Michael Jackson's death is going to be a big mainstream cultural event. Everybody has heard of him. Most people won't have heard about Sky Saxon. But for some of us- I'd hazard, the kind of folk who hang around here- Sky Saxon feels like more of a loss, maybe his music touched us more than Jackson's. But worldwide, only a tiny minority will be mourning Sky compared to the massive amount mourning Michael.

No disrespect to anybody, and I'm not saying that Sky Saxon fans are any better than Jackson fans. As I said in my post, I accept that Jackson was incredibly talented and important. But Sky Saxon was a counter-culture hero and Michael Jackson was a mainstream one. Maybe you don't believe in such divisions, but that's all I was trying to say.

Burroughs and Diana was the same. And if you're accusing Burroughs of being a wealthy parasite, he was hardly in the same league as the peoples' princess! And in my opinion he made a far more important cultural and literary contribution. But again, like Sky, he was an outsider figure. And his wife's death was an accident, which left him with a lifelong burden of guilt.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jun 26, 2009, 13:32
Jun 26, 2009, 13:31
"Maybe you don't believe in such divisions, but that's all I was trying to say."

You're right. I don't believe in such divisions. You're either good and have something worthy to say or add or you're not. Whether that is counter cultural or popular culture is irrelevant.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 13:37
"And in my opinion he made a far more important cultural and literary contribution"

that's like comparing John Coltrane to the queen mum!

8)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index