Unsung Forum »
Prog Britannia

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Prog Britannia
Jan 04, 2009, 13:09
I'm with you on ELP, love them to death, whilst finding it very easy to see why everybody else hates them.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 04, 2009, 13:27
magiceye wrote:

The programme did dfall into the trap of assuming that prog was a uniquely British (or should that be English) phenomenon. Rush, anyone?

it was a programme called Prog Rock BRITANNIA so the area to be covered was already designated. Same goes with Jane (I think it was her anyway) commenting on the lack of coverage on Focus. They could have said a little more on the fact that prog was being explored elsewhere and possibly more interestingly. I think they mentioned this twice in passing & in a nullified way like saying in a sentence each time that other people abroad were doing so. So it was easily missed.
The Timeshift programme that was on last night had a bit more foreign coverage but even that was very limited
Stevo
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 04, 2009, 13:43
Stevo wrote:
[quote="magiceye"]
it was a programme called Prog Rock BRITANNIA so the area to be covered was already designated.

Fair point Stevo. Talk about missing the bleedin' obvious, eh!?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jan 04, 2009, 18:19
That's 3 of us then....

love

Moth
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Jan 04, 2009, 18:29
I'd much more lissen to ELP than say... Van 'critics choice' Morrison
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 04, 2009, 18:31
I've only just got around to reading this part of the thread ... NY shenanigans and all that ... but as a neutral observer, may I suggest that you both have a degree of supressed angst from only having one letter each in your surnames?
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 04, 2009, 19:09
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
I'd much more lissen to ELP than say... Van 'critics choice' Morrison

You have a point. Could never see the appeal of the man.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 05, 2009, 04:04
Count me in the ELP club too! ;-)
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jan 05, 2009, 12:03
I'm taping the main programme to watch later tomorrow, but saw the old Timeshift programme and found the bit with Peel/Murray a bit inaccurate...those Ramones and the dreadful Sham 69 pulled out with their Chuck Berry/Eddie Cochran thang as an example of punk against prog. CBGB's was mentioned...that would be the same venue that had Patti Smith singing Soft Parade-style jazz/poetry over brief songs like Land and Birdland? Or the same venue that featured Ramones' peers Television...whose Little Johnny Jewel and Marquee Moon were, er, quite proggy???? It's a very simplistic history of music being presented here, I'm assuming that at the time some folk would listen to the Can or Tangerine Dream as they would Genesis or the Floyd?

I mean, Magazine had a few proggy moments - Back to Nature, Motorcade, Feed the Enemy...
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 05, 2009, 19:34
Dog 3000 wrote:
Count me in the ELP club too! ;-)

I'm getting worried about you lot.

Still we are a broad church (if ye heathens will pardon the expression) on this site, are we not?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index