8768 posts

Re: Prog Britannia
Jan 03, 2009, 00:41
me too. top chap.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 03, 2009, 00:47
...oops not sure my post read that well. What I meant was that I saw Wyatt as not being a cock or serious about the whole thing but that's pretty obvious really as he's always had the dignity to let the music do the talking and not his gob. Good to see Richard Coughlan on it too.

8)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Don't be afraid to be made fun of moog-in-cape man!
Jan 03, 2009, 01:32
keith a wrote:
Revisionism us a wonderful thing.

I just don't buy the "official Rolling Stone Magazine history of rock" when it comes to punk (and "grunge.")

And I think there are some big national differences here -- post below says punk made reggae big. Maybe in the UK, but in the USA I don't think the two had much to do with one another at all (Bob Marley was already big in the USA back in '73 or so -- which had more to do with the popularity of "funk" than "punk".)

Enough with the bad vibes on this thread though! "Prog Britania" is an interesting topic (what does it say that this type of music still causes such disagreement 30 years later? Isn't this really just the same old "Sex Pistols vs. Pink Floyd" argument from back then???)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Don't be afraid to be made fun of moog-in-cape man!
Jan 03, 2009, 09:18
''post below says punk made reggae big. Maybe in the UK, but in the USA I don't think the two had much to do with one another at all''

Bad Brains, that's all I'm saying

I really enjoyed the programme, really enjoyed the ELP stuff, and thought Carl Palmer came across really well, unlike Phil Collins who still seems to have a bee in his bonnet about everything

You have a point about the difference between the UK/USA, in fact it's rare for me and KeithA to be on the same side of the fence so the situation is probably different depending on whereabouts in the UK you were

I suspect that there is one thing we can all agree about

Brand X-they were shite, complete drivel and fully deserving of all the scorn we can possibly heap upon them

I'm off to download some Carl Palmer band, as it seems he has carefully replaced the keyboards with guitars, fretastic [sorry Keith the alliance is over, now about your Kiss Army membership ;-)]
machineryelf
3681 posts

Seperated at Birth?
Jan 03, 2009, 09:22
Jan Akkerman
http://www.chaoscontrol.com/article_images/mortiis_photo.jpg

Mortiis
http://flickr.com/photos/24959568@N04/2404897286/in/set-72157604509209301/
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jan 03, 2009, 10:05
Yeah, sorry Dave, twas misread by myself.

Happy New Year!

8>)
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: Prog Britannia: Eddie Blower
Jan 03, 2009, 16:17
I noticed that Eddie Blower was listed in the end credits - some may remember him from Dansette Damage, but he made an interesting film about his Record Collection with Ken Morse. Here's a write up:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19960518/ai_n14054215/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 07, 2009, 16:44
Jan 03, 2009, 16:32
dave clarkson wrote:

...nothing, as long as you're not a cock about it and don't take yourself too seriously, e.g.....errr can't think of any....oh, Robert Wyatt.

8)

You're spot on about Wyatt. He's a progressive in the literal sense of the word, in that he's music's always evolvng, and he's resolutely avoided living off his past (whilst never disowning it entirely). Peter Hamill is like that too.

Although I personally don't like his music, I think Rick Wakeman showed some humour by appearing in Dictionary Corner on "Countdown". The Cardiacs are quite funny too.

I do think prog has a higher proportion of unintentionally hilarious music than most genres, though, by virtue of the fact that a lot of it does take itself way too seriously.
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 03, 2009, 21:31
Good to see the God of Hell Fire receiving a bit of coverage. Wakeman was his usual amusing self and I enjoyed Bill Bruford and Mont Campbell's contributions as well. Of the bands themselves I thought King Crimson probably came across as the most interesting and ELP as the most loathesome buch of twats ever (much as I remember them, really).

Of course there is a limit to what can be covered in one programme but it was a shame that Gentle Giant, VDGG, Hatfields, Henry Cow and the more left-field (and in some cases more humorous) examples of the genre weren't featured.

The programme did dfall into the trap of assuming that prog was a uniquely British (or should that be English) phenomenon. Rush, anyone?
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jan 03, 2009, 22:07
Yeah, a very British thang, but RUSH defo qualify, and i fucking love em for it!
Ow't from Caress of Steel to Moving Pictures is magnificent!

Have to disagree about ELP too as they made some awesome stuff in their time (but granted, some dross, but not much).
The only real thing that fucks me off about em is that Jim Davidson's a big fan (Sorry, but WHAT A CUNT).

I do like alot of their stuff though! (Sorry H2H'd'ers)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index