Unsung Forum »
Your albums of the year

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Your albums of the year
Dec 09, 2008, 21:39
Me other half Ger saw him recently too. Loved it he did.

I've never been a Rundgren fan really (Ger finks he is ggreeat, has done for ever it seems), but 'Liars' and this sort of struck something with me.

I'm not one for guitary fist waving stuff, but he's doing it with his tonuge both in and out of his cheek I think. And the album cover is quite funny!

As I said, the tune 'Courage' is just perfect. Anyone who can put something together as good as that deserves my attention more!

I will try to up my tolerance of 'A Wizard' from 15 mins to eh, at least twenty;-)

x
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Edited Dec 09, 2008, 23:06
Dec 09, 2008, 22:38
Alphabetical (this year's fashion).

Autechre - Quaristice
Matt Baldwin - Paths of Ignition
Black Mountain - In the Future
Circle - Hollywood
Valerio Cosi - Heavy Electronic Pacific Rock
Fred Frith - To Sail, To Sail
Funkadelic - Toys
Grails - Take Refuge in Clean Living
Grails - Doomsdayer's Holiday
Harvey Milk - Life... the Best Game in Town
Dominique Leone - Dominique Leone
Machinefabriek - Dauw
Magik Markers - Gucci Rapidshare Download
Stephen Mathieu - Radioland
No Neck Blues Band - Clomeim
William Parker - Double Sunrise over Neptune
Lee Ranaldo - Maelstrom from Drift
Arthur Russell - Love is Overtaking Me
Preston Swirnoff - Maariv
Uton - We're Only in it for the Spirit

And I'm sure I've forgotten 6 or 7 essentials.

A decent year. Not a classic, but pretty good.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 09, 2008, 23:15
So what's that particular Circle album all about? (They're so durn prolific and every record is different . . . )
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 09, 2008, 23:51
Dec 09, 2008, 23:50
He puts on a good show. Good mix of old classics played with plenty of spunk and perfect harmony vocals (I Saw The Light, Open My Eyes, Couldn't I Just Tell You, Just One Victory, Black Mariah) and new stuff (Arena album on this particular tour, which seems like an album written for the stage if there ever was one.) Very mellow/funny stage banter and he stil bounces around the stage like a jolly old elf -- a hard guy not to like in person.

Too bad more people weren't there -- rather than an "arena" he played to a half-full theater.

Sill, it seems like 2008 was a pretty good year for Todd fans.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

AOTM for December
Dec 10, 2008, 00:15
Just listening to JC's latest AOTM -- "Jex Thoth" -- seems like a contender for Head-oriented best of lists (listening to it now.)

And whadaya know, it was produced by Madison's own CLAY RUBY!

Who is also one of the main dudes behind HINTERGEDANKEN (turns out I personally know about half of the people in this "group"), which caused a local stir months back when Julian mentioned it favorably in an Address Druidion.

Watchout! I hear a "Hintergedanken II" CD is in the finishing stages.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Dec 10, 2008, 01:20
'Autechre - Quaristice'

...god that's a tough album - does it get any better after a few plays? I shelved it after 2.

8)
vince
vince
1628 posts

Dec 10, 2008, 06:12
Here goes:

Bjork - Volta
Bon Iver - For Emma...
British Sea Power - Do you like rock music?
Calexico - Carried To Dust
The Clash - Live at Shea Stadium
Efterklang - Parades
Elbow - The seldom seen kid
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree
Ladytron - Velocifero
Mogwai - The hawk is howling
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
The Notwist - The Devil, you & me
Portishead - Third
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Live Manchester & Dublin
Secret Machines - Secret Machines
Sigur Ros - With A Buzz In Our Ears... (cut me a little slack on title!)
UNKLE - War Stories / More Stories
The Verve - Forth
Wire - Object 47
Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
The Young Gods - Knock On Wood: Acoustic Sessions

Event of the year: Tom Waits live in Jacksonville

High hopes for next year from:

Bowie
Roxy Music
Doves
Black River
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Dec 10, 2008, 08:19
Where to start?

Still waiting for the Wolf People album, that'll undoubtedly be a highlight of next year. As it is, Diagonal were a fantastic example of old skool prog, as opposed to a lot of the rubbish you get on the fish show on Planet Rock. Which reminds me, the Marillion bootleg box was much better than expected, although it proved they never really improved on Script.

Another prog highlight was the Last People On Earth album, although points off for a shortage of gigs.

More reissues: Agitation Free, of course, plus the John Berberian album on Rev-Ola. Not to mention good old Aztec in Oz, who keep putting out brilliant stuff, such as Levi Smith's Clefs and Died Pretty's excellent 'Free Dirt'.

On the folk side, 'A Garland Of Song' by The Owl Service was good but their 'The Petrifying Well' comp of early stuff is even better, much more psych/prog.

Cath & Phil Tyler's 'Dumb Supper' is simply sublime, bringin shape note singing (the sound of 2008!) to a new auience.

But for pure unabashed rock'n'roll, go to The Jim Jones Revue album. Think MC5 meets Little Richard and Jerry Lee in and industrial blender. Simply the best rock'n'roll album you'll hear this decade!

Finally, the superb 'What's Kickin' Vol 3' comp was, as expected, superb. Look out for 'Vol 4' next year, along with the new one from Simon James Onions (the artist formerly known as ....Onions).
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Dec 10, 2008, 08:25
Is it just me, but some of the so called "prog" stuff like Spocks Beard and Dream Theatre, i just don't get at all.

Awful stuff!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Dec 10, 2008, 08:31
Did you like the Secret Machines album then? I think they've been on a rapid downward trend since "Ten Silver Drops" myself.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index