Any American Prog Experts?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Prog, Marx and Elitism
Nov 28, 2008, 10:38
I should do, let me see. Yeah, found it.
There are a few different items mentioned there. I can do most of them with no hassle once I find them on the computer, if you're interested.
Plus I have the Grunt lps Baron Von Tollbooth....., Grace slick's solo lp Manhole & Sunfighter which is another Kantner/Slick collaboration with their new born daughter on the cover. Found on recent listenings that Sunfighter shares some qualities with the 2nd Howlin Rain lp. Similar mix of influences including Gospel.
Stevo
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2008, 11:10
Nov 28, 2008, 11:09
gogmagog wrote:
Yes, I've often seen Max Webster Lp's knocking about. Always been told they were kind of a more commercial Rush-type thing.

Worth a punt if seen cheap are they, Ian?

yes, it is that harmonium. It seems the pastoral Genesis thing was big news in Canada. Course, there was the famous Genesis Black Tour show in Montreal in 1974.

regards,

Gogmagog

PS: Can't reccomend the RAm Lp enough, specially for A Magma-fiend and bass-player like yerself (and myself) - the solo is outrageous!

Max Webster is a weird one. At times they sound like The Cars and Cheap Trick after exposure to Quatermass and Fun House and at others like Jethro Tull or Kingdom Come (the English one) playing Mk 2 Purple tunes. The s/t record from 76 and High Class In Borrowed Shoes from 77 are well worth a go but this is not utopian prog and there are diversions into bar band r 'n' r, in-jokes, Canadiana, comedy songs and Greg Lake type balladry.

You can tell they probably learned their trade playing roadhouses criss-crossing Canada. If you've heard Martin Tiellli or the (genius) Rheostatics you'll have an idea of how eclectic Canadian art rock can be.

Still, for all my quibbles, well above average.

Gotcha on the Ram thing. It's on my list of things to look into before Christmas!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 11:13
Didn't Max Webster record a track with all three members of Rush playing on it too?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 11:14
Moon Cat wrote:
Didn't Max Webster record a track with all three members of Rush playing on it too?

Seems highly likely!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 11:23
A quick google reveals it's called "Battlescar" and on an album called Universal Juvenilles. Well, fancy that!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 11:25
Ah I never got past the first four albums. There are very few bands of that era worth following all the way into the 80s! Some of it is very Kiss-like. A lot of it isn't.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2008, 14:19
Re: RAM
Nov 28, 2008, 14:13
IanB wrote:

Gotcha on the Ram thing. It's on my list of things to look into before Christmas!

http://toterallee.blogspot.com/
If you scroll down to October 27th on this blog he's got it upped. Seems to have changed the way he offers music now with files now containing Flacs when they used to contain MP3s.
I think he's just reupped a lot of material that he had up a couple of years back before the 8 Days In April blog suddenly vanished. Think I logged on one day to find my favourite krautrock/European prog/Whatever site had been taken over by a foreign language site with no music content.

But he's back and has the same eclectic mix as before.
Stevo
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: RAM
Nov 28, 2008, 14:44
Great thank you. I will give it a blast over the weekend.
phallus dei
583 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 17:45
I would cite Floh De Cologne as a good example of a non-elitist Marxist band. Their four albums on Ohr are all great, totally subverting / reclaiming populist forms but done with a great sense of humor, instead of the boring academia of Henry Cow. Along the same lines would be Komintern's Le Bal Du Rat Mort. To me, both these bands are positive examples of what popular, revolutionary culture should aspire toward.
unleasHell
112 posts

Re: Any American Prog Experts?
Nov 28, 2008, 20:25
LOL, I am in the US and have to agree that most of the great prog eminates elsewhere around the globe, but most of the posts I read (and I did not read them all) were quite comical as there has been a great deal of progressive music made in the USA,

Try looking here and you can even buy them...

http://synphonic.8m.com/country/usa.htm

peace
stevenD
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index