96 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
WankHerod
WankHerod
6 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2008, 00:42
Re: Black Sheep
Sep 03, 2008, 00:40
Evening all! My first post here....well, I used to post here years ago but I didn't post for a while and my account evaporated into digital oblivion. I've been drawn back here to comment upon Black Sheep - I LOVE IT! LOVE IT! Cope's finest in years. I've been following the man since the 80s and haven't exactly been over-enamoured with his recent offerings. I'm a big fan of his psych pop/folk stuff of the 80s and 90s and his experimental and meditational outings, but his recent big-booted glam riffing has done little for me. Lyrically and ideologically, I've always been with him. Musically, we've kinda parted ways recently.

Black Sheep is a definite return to lonely psychedelia, irresistable melodies, gorgeous harmonies and good old-fashioned well-crafted songs. 'Black Sheep Song' could be a lost track from 'Fried', such is it's pastoral melancholy vibe. 'All The Blow-Themselves-Up....' is as funny and finely observed a song as I've heard in while. Dammit, the tune reminds me of The Strawbs 'Part Of The Union'! 'The Shipwreck of Saint Paul' is a dark windswept epic, reeking of inevitability, regret, wonder and rage. Amazing stuff.

Anyway, I just wanted to spread my love for this album. Reading through the thread, I see that it's been extremely well-received by all. I occasionally post on the IMDb music board, and I raved about 'Black Sheep' on there. Thirty-five billion users (or thereabouts) and two replies. Each to their own, but I gotta say - those fuckers don't know what they're missing!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index