Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
vince
vince
1628 posts

Re: Black Sheep
Aug 14, 2008, 22:57
Popel Vooje wrote:
I'm going to order this one - from what everyone's been saying, it sounds as though he's reconnected with his tuneful, melancholic side (folk have mentioned "World Shut your Mouth" and "Elegant Chaos", both of which utterly blew my mind as a teen and still do). I loved "Peggy" and "Jehovahkill" too, but to these ears his records have been a tad too riff-heavy and melody-lite since then (although I love his writing and continue to repsect the guy for following his own muse and not selling out).

So thanks for the tip.

Same here. Nice to be excited about a new album again innit? 'Cept I'll probably have to wait weeks until it reaches US shores :-(
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2008, 08:01
Aug 15, 2008, 08:01
Moon Cat wrote:
'Taint really a double album though is it? I thought it was just that Copey thing of having songs in phases and having you actually physically 'flip the sides' so to speak, like you would have done in the olden days.

I know someone moaned about this 2-cd thing of Cope's but the prices (inc P&P) are about the same as a single cd and you get books and foldy bits so I think it's cool meself.

Oh the price is perfectly ok (Bill Nelson for example charges £15 plus p&p for one cd in a crappy jewel case with a crappier "booklet") but given that a lot of people will just end up with the music in iTunes and the cd on a shelf it seems more effort than it is reallly worth. I'd rather Cope kept the extra 35p per sale and spent it on something useful.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Aug 15, 2008, 08:10
Blimey it's a goodun! I'm really really enjoying it so far. My current fave is These Things I Know - kinda reminds me of Sunspots.

What a great album. I love the instrumentation too, the acoustic instruments and those big drums really work well. And it is great to hear that trademark flanged/wah guitar again :-)
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Aug 15, 2008, 19:42
e[kpsdki
Brik
587 posts

Aug 16, 2008, 16:11
Ah my PC died so I;ve been away. I did manage to steal a bit of time to order in Black Sheep. My Giddy Aunt it's epic. His best since Kilimanjaro. ;-)
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Aug 18, 2008, 02:04
Brik wrote:
Ah my PC died so I;ve been away. I did manage to steal a bit of time to order in Black Sheep. My Giddy Aunt it's epic. His best since Kilimanjaro. ;-)

Well if it's his best since Kilimanjaro, then he must have had a pretty crap solo career. Joking aside, I believe that any musician, whose biggest fans simultaneously declare each new album to be both the best and the worst he's ever made, is worth listening to, no matter what taste you have.

I was just in my car with my 18 month old daughter and on comes the Black Sheep song. I'm not sure if the "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep" nursery rhyme is well known in the UK, but it's her favourite song, and one we sing to her all the time. So she starts singing along with Julian "Baa, Baa, back seeeeep".

Made my day.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2008, 09:59
Aug 18, 2008, 09:54
Just got mine this very morn, along with a nice Flower Travelling Band Tee Shirt.

Imported it straight into Itunes so that I don't scratch the discs, but it's playing in a randon order. So so far I've listened to "These Things I know" which had my toes tapping, and now I'm half way through "Psychedelic Odin", which is a lot less doom laden than I'd expected. It reminds me of Roy Harper's "Come out fighting Genghis Smith"

The packaging is ace. Vybic Jon looks utterly fed up on the front cover.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Aug 18, 2008, 10:01
He's very cold and there's sleet hitting his face. He had a great day!
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Aug 18, 2008, 10:05
I'm LOVING IT!. xx
amazon
amazon
959 posts

Aug 18, 2008, 10:28
Dhimmi is Blue is fast becoming one of my all time faves.

It's a proper sing-along-in-the-car-at-high-volume track and it has been a feature of every single car journey I've made since I had it.

However, I heard These Things I Know on Radio 6 yesterday (Stuart Tucked-in-paisley-shirt's show) and it sounded bloody fantastic!

I keep saying this, but I need to get disc one on again. But I'm just so in love with Dhimmi...
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index