Unsung Forum »
Third Ear Band Question

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Third Ear Band Question
May 28, 2008, 17:26
I heard the track 'Fleance' from their 'Macbeth' film score on this Sunday's Freakzone, and thought it was quietly awesome.
Anyway, I know zip about em, and on trying to find out who the vocalist is on this particular tune, I get nowhere.
Some places suggest it's a young choir boy, but I'm sure it's female.
RSVP:-)

xx
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: Third Ear Band Question
May 28, 2008, 17:41
The vocalist is male. This is the music from the Roman Polanski film 'Macbeth', produced by Hugh Hefner I believe, but in the film Fleance song is sung by the Cheggers plays pops man when he was a kid c.1970. A message to Keith Chegwin might do the trick.

Sadly Glen Sweeney from the band died recently
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 28, 2008, 17:45
It's not Keith Chegwin is it? i think it may be him playing the part.

Very nice tune but not really the most representative of their output.
I think that lp as a whole clings closer to traditional song form than they normally do. 1st 2 lps are pretty good though, more acoustic drones with accent on hand drum patterns.
Stevo
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited May 28, 2008, 18:06
May 28, 2008, 17:48
Almost not Chegwin in Abbey Rd for the LP session.

Sweeney and his minstrels were in the gallery during Chegwins miming in the film

Their eponymous 'middle' LP is a masterpiece.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

May 28, 2008, 17:53
Actually was a bit pissed when I heard it, and could've sworn it was Joanna Newsom, until I heard otherwise.
Listening again in sobriety I still think it sounds a bit like her.
Obviously she wouldn't have been a glint in her dad's eye at that point:-)

x
willHulbert
willHulbert
16 posts

May 28, 2008, 18:58
I believe someone by the name of Geoff Chaucer did the lyrics for that track,You can find them on www.art-bin.com/art/obeaute
My personal favourite stuff is Abelarde & Heloise , Moody like McBeth,But
without the electronics.
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

May 28, 2008, 19:51
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
The vocalist is male. This is the music from the Roman Polanski film 'Macbeth', produced by Hugh Hefner I believe, but in the film Fleance song is sung by the Cheggers plays pops man when he was a kid c.1970. A message to Keith Chegwin might do the trick.

Sadly Glen Sweeney from the band died recently

Very sorry to hear about Glen Sweeney. I got into the TEB via the inner sleeve of a Deep Purple album circa 1971 on which was depicted all these strange looking album covers from the Harvest label featuring bands with odd names. All very intriguing for a 10 yr old. Over the years I saved my pocket money and started buying as many Harvest Records albums as I could, two of which were Alchemy and the Eponymous album, both lost in last year's floods but which thankfully I also have on CD.

Later version of the band featured Simon House of Hawkwind.

But they never did shake that Chegwin connection. Shame they never got to score "Naked in the Jungle"
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

May 29, 2008, 01:57
Sorry to hear that you lost LP's in the flood. I would be in deep shock if anything like that happened to me. I was similarly influenced by those Harvest generic inner sleeves. Some of those are very sought after; Battered Ornaments, Tea & Symphony, Pete Brown, Bakerloo..the rarest Harvest has to be Jo Sago by Tea & Symphony, that was never on the inner bag.
willHulbert
willHulbert
16 posts

Jun 04, 2008, 22:02
For anyone interested the British library now has an extensive Third Ear Band collection in its sound archives you can view it via there website.
Quatermass and Panama ltd jug band were my particular faves!!
Big Block 454
Big Block 454
55 posts

Jul 07, 2008, 18:20
Simon House is actually on this album.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index