Why I prefer Van Halen to Radiohead

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Re: NWOBHM
May 06, 2008, 19:27
Nutz - definitely second division. It made no difference when they changed their name to Rage - an even worse name.
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Edited May 06, 2008, 20:57
Re: Why I prefer Van Halen to Radiohead
May 06, 2008, 20:54
IanB wrote:
....Mars Volta are kind of doing the same thing today by playing complex music with wild abandon. ....

argh no why did you have to bring Mars Voltam into it?

Barf ! (the sound of rojo spewing large chunks)
riotmaster
1563 posts

GET A REFUND QUICK!
May 06, 2008, 21:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ZZI0ZX82M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3tk8EB6ZY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPZSKXU5nVg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BwENh9Fxak&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfXHFlT37C8&feature=related

mind you. they've always sounded shit to me :-)
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Re: GET A REFUND QUICK!
May 06, 2008, 23:18
Yep, looks some of the shows before they packed Ed off to rehab. There is an absolutely atrocious Panama knocking around on YouTube as well.

My missus is somewhat dubious about VH as well so a combination of Roth's hoarse caterwauling, the 17 year old bass playing son who's got the stage presence of a piece of garden furniture and Eddie faxing in his performance will inevitably confirm her worst prejudices.

I just fancied seeing a big arena show in the States just once .. and VH were in town the weekend we were thinking of going ... but the possibility of the guitarist falling down on stage/playing the entire gig out of tune is a distinct worry.

However, they may also be completely spot on. Who knows?
keith a
9574 posts

Edited May 06, 2008, 23:27
May 06, 2008, 23:25
Come on. He had much better sidies!
keith a
9574 posts

May 06, 2008, 23:52
machineryelf wrote:

My early dislike of punk was fuelled by their horrible attitude and blinkered vision that anything that didn't fit the punk mould was rubbish, this included The Ramones, Amon Duul 2 & the MC5.

How much of this was defensiveness in what was being firected at them? I always felt that the 'rock fans' were the real small-minded ones, feeling threatened cos some folks had chopped their hair off. It wasn't just a case of a horrible attitude, there was the very real threat of violence. For christ sake, people got beat up round here cos they had the audacity to wear drainies!!

As I've said before, whilst I was buying punk singles in '77, the albums I was buying were altogether more old fart - Sgt Peppers and Octopus spring to mind - whilst my mate was still collecting his Johnny Winter albums!

I'm sure we were weren't the only ones like this. And I seem to remember that Thin Lizzy were one rock band that punks seemed to like.

As for Motorhead and AC/DC...they may have had a helping hand, but they weren't NWOBM surely, any more than Bob Marley had a helping hand from punk but clearly wasn't punk (oh alright, this isn't the best example I've ever come up with but it's late and I want to go to bed!!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although I'm not a major fan, there will always be a place in my heart for Ace Of Spades!

Nighty night! ; )
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

May 07, 2008, 04:13
Have fun! VH is a band to get drunk and sing along to! Who cares what they sound like it's the experience as a whole that matters.As for Radiohead they don't seem like much fun I don't really understand them to be honest maybe a bit to high brow for me? DO NOT go to Denny's!!! The food is shit and they are rude! Just get some decent fried chicken and waffles smothered in gravy! YUMMY!!! Sounds nasty but trust me I had a heart attack at age 39 I KNOW good American food!
machineryelf
3681 posts

May 07, 2008, 06:03
You sound like one of us, the punks round my way would have banished you to the saddoes corner with us for crimes like ''Octopus''
Violence was never a problem on the genteel south coast, except for the Saturday night bloodbath that was tiffanies in Bournemouth every weekend but that was everyone else fighting whilst we looked on. A whole bunch of us short hair, long hair,hippy,metal , punks used to go to soul night in Bournemouth and had zero problems til 2-tone/mod came along, that really fucked things up but that's another thread
The biggest problem we had in 77/78 was probably older rockers who regarded Judas Priest and the Pistols as new and therefore bad and were just as blinkered and dumb as the punks but usually bigger and meaner.
I suspect there are as many different stories as there are people on this forum.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 07, 2008, 07:21
May 07, 2008, 06:34
rojo wrote:
IanB wrote:
....Mars Volta are kind of doing the same thing today by playing complex music with wild abandon. ....

argh no why did you have to bring Mars Voltam into it?

Barf ! (the sound of rojo spewing large chunks)

Why? Because I love them. That's kind of the point of the forum .. but I can tell that they are not everyone's cuppa prog ;-)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 07, 2008, 06:38
May 07, 2008, 06:36
machineryelf wrote:
I suspect there are as many different stories as there are people on this forum.

Indeed. Which is what keeps it interesting ....

Would be a dull place if we were all boxed into a Simon Reynolds Post-Punk corner. I suspect that there's no where else on earth where Grand Funk and Hans Werner Henze get equal billing with The Misfits and James Brown.

Who needs the music press?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index