14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 29, 2008, 17:42
Re: Lee Scratch Perry and Black Ark
Jan 29, 2008, 09:52
Fantastic site. Thank you. Cleared up a couple of long standing queries verifying sources etc in a matter of seconds. Brilliant.

As for the four track thing there's a lot to be said for having to make an irreversible sonic decision in the heat of the creative moment and stick to it. The more options we have the longer it takes people to get anything done.

As a true improviser Perry is in many ways more of a jazz artist than a pop producer. I think of him more like Miles and Sun Ra than King Tubby or Joe Gibbs let alone Marley or Burning Spear. Though as a hit maker there was a lot of Larry Parnes and Berry Gordy in there too.

The sad thing about Scratch is the amount of unutterable shit that has been released in his name in recent years and recordings that he barely touched being emblazoned with is imprimateur. I feel sorry for anyone dipping their toes in for the first time who stray very far beyond the Trojan, Island, Pressure Sounds compilations that cover the Black Ark period. There be monsters!

There was an excellent extended Perry primer in Grand Royal magazine in the mid 90s. I may well have it somewhere.

http://people.tribe.net/cybornian3rdigato/photos/41e2cab0-93ee-4269-88f0-da4404881e0c

Unsung Forum Index