Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2007, 10:31
Re: Doors vs Joy Division
Dec 15, 2007, 10:19
philiph20 wrote:
At last someone else in the country who thinks New order are absolutely shite, they are along with retro crap like The Stone Roses esp Ian Brown given an almost mythical status by music hacks over here particularly the NME , it seems that they are immune to criticism which rankles when they are compared to JD an absolute load of manure.

I have taken a few forum spankings for holding the same opinion!

The Doors made some extraordinary records (as did JD) and were quickly eclipsed by their own lead singer (as were JD) and were much more interesting live than on record (as arguably were JD). JD were probably heading for a creative dead-end by the time their singer died. I suspect they were one record away from Curtis going solo. The Doors were already past that point when Jimbo killed himself.

Premature death is a great help when it comes to becomming an iconic figure.

Who knows, if Nick Drake had lived he might have ended up rolling his jacket sleeves past his elbows. just like John Martyn, and making records with Phil Collins. Jimi would have ended up in Weather Report and and Janis Joplin would be making showtune albums with Rod!

As for New Order, for me they are one of the long list of British indie acts who plundered the US club scene for insipration leaving both sides worse off in the process. Play "Rock The House", "Don't Make Me Wait" or pretty much anything from the West End catalogue next to "Blue Monday" and tell me who had access to the true dancefloorpoison. It's like comparing early Stones sides with the Chess catalogue. Entertaining but ultimately a pale shadow. They had to get past their influences to make original music. Not sure NO ever got beyond their influences.

Someone like Larry Levan name checking New Order is like Muddy Waters doing the same for Mick n Keef. What Levan and New Order have in common is that Larry Levan was a huge Krautrock fan (regularly playing Kraut tracks in his DJ set) and both he and New Order owed a hell of a lot to Moroder and to Neu. I Feel Love is one of the great Krautrock sides.

Saying that if you are still in your 30s I can understand why New Order, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses and The Smiths have that iconic status. It is a bit like people of my age who can't let go of some 60s and early 70s acts who are frankly a bit over-rated but have achieved a special status. Big Star anyone? Skip Spence? Brian Wilson? Gram Parsons? The Band? Terry Reid? Soft Machine?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index