Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 18, 2007, 00:46
Re: Doors vs Joy Division
Dec 18, 2007, 00:45
zphage wrote:
The Doors unique instrumental approach and lack of presence in the UK seems to have given them an air of mystery/exoticness that had influence on the postpunk/neo-psych of WAH, Teardrops, Echo, Joy Division, Doll By Doll, Psych Furs, Stranglers. But past that moment the Doors influence receded.

Yes! I think this is the Doors' importance pretty much exactly. They were the primary source for all those dramatic gothy type bands.

Check out that Isle of Wight documentary and note how Doors stick out like a sore thumb: their music is slow and somber and played mostly in the dark, while everybody else is all dilated eyeballs popping out of their dayglo heads while playing endless guitar solos (Free, etc.!)

Doors were arguably more important than the Velvets in this respect (way more people actually listened to The Doors!!)

Musically speaking, it took me a long time to get into them at all -- still not in my personal top 100, but I at least appreciate the atmospherics and the pseudo-jazzy bassless arrangements.

Joy Division was a fine postpunk band, who probably said all they needed to say. They seem more relevant than Doors today somehow -- I guess cuz angst is a growth industry these days!

New Order is just shit. (Won't waste my time explaining why!)

PS on an earlier comment too -- Morrison didn't quit the band before he died, he was sort of "on sabbatical" -- the other three dudes were actually laying down tracks in LA when they heard the news, hence the Morrison-less 1971 LP "Other Voices" (never reissued and deleted from the cultural memory of Doors records! Obviously, it isn't as good as the Jim records. Manzarek is a horrible singer!!!!!)

zphage wrote:
{anyone ever heard the 1975 Ashton Bros related New Order?}

Yes, it's pretty typical 70's detroit stuff, like Destroy All Monsters (but not as good) -- this NO was certainly less crappy in relation to it's predecessor than NO-UK!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index