Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Is/Are Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...

64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Is Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...
Dec 06, 2007, 02:54
Zep is certainly open victim to much criticism

If you really want to discount anyone who claims them as an influence, tho, feel free to be that lame

I had some great times driving around as a guitar-playing teenager with tapes of their first and second albums cranked up, also lofi recordings of their live shows at which my best friend and (to this day) musical co-conspirator would sing along with Page's solos and shout "quotable!"

That was around 1992-94

Around then I also stumbled onto records of their first 3 albums which was part of my discovery of why vinyl is better! This was before I got into CDs (and Page's remasters were some of the first good sounding CD re-issues, btw) but the mystique of the old records I found in friends' parents' attics has stayed with me. If they'd had Can I guess I woulda got into that first, but they didn't, so it was Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and so forth until I got out of the backwoods, discovered the internet and was exposed to enough other stuff to develop my own specific taste

I also have to speak highly of (at least parts of) Physical Graffiti and Presence... I don't think they have a single record that's crap, though there's bits I don't come back to. And there's lots of things I listen to more often, that is for sure: Howling Hex, recent Dylan bootlegs, Acid Mothers Temple, the Meters, Les Rallizes Denudes, traditional vietnamese music, african drumming, John Coltrane, Tim Buckley, Six Organs Of Admittance, electric Miles Davis, the Beatles, anything by my friends, you know, things like that

My girlfriend is learning the drums and I am inundating her with Bonham, esp Your Time Is Gonna Come, backbeat all over the place!

I listen to lots of other things, from strange to perfectly normal, and I'll stand by all of them. I don't care if I SEE Led Zeppelin play this time around, I haven't got much interest tho I wouldn't pass up free tix, but I'll recommend the original records for sure!

You of course may listen to whatever you like.

5 out
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index