Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Re: TEARDROP EXPLODES - BBC SESSIONS PLUS
Oct 14, 2007, 12:43
Paaaaul wrote:
I got my copy today, saw it behind the counter in my local record shop,asked for it, got it !

To confirm the contents

1-4 Peel Session 2/10/79
5 Read Session 16/10/80
6-8 Peel Session 16/4/80
9-11 BBC Session (Date Unknown) [probably the Skinner 16/5/81 session looking at common era's list up there^]
12-13 Skinner Session 13/8/81
14-16 Jensen Session 27/6/82

DATE UNKNOWN?! I could dig out my rusty ol cassettes and tell whoever needs to know, but I can't be arsed.... ;oP (You gotta be in the mood to look these things up!).
Paaaaul
Paaaaul
75 posts

Oct 15, 2007, 19:29
I've listened to this album a few times now, and must say it's the least essential TX CD released so far.
There are a couple of previously unreleased tracks, neither of which are that good and there isn't much in the way of interesting or different versions of songs we all know already.
I was hoping You Disappear From View would be great, as I hate the single version, but love the Zoology version (as much as you can with such crappy quality),and loved JC's version on the last tour, but this version is a bit lacklustre and soaked in chorus pedal.
Nevermind.
common era
865 posts

Oct 15, 2007, 20:21
Hmmm, interesting response as I have high hopes, plus it getting Mr. Cope's seal of approval. Just got an e to say my copy has been dispatched, so it may well arrive tomorrow.
Paaaaul
Paaaaul
75 posts

Oct 15, 2007, 20:29
Ok. Ha Ha I'm Drowning is a little bit Ska, but that's about it.
common era
865 posts

Edited Oct 16, 2007, 17:22
Oct 16, 2007, 17:20
Got my copy today. I know its taken from old analogue recordings but the quality is a bit tape-hissy in places.

On first listen its good, not quite a must-have though, but still good and a delight to hear way better versions of these session songs than I currently have. Highlights? Pure Joy is excellent I still love this version of You Disappear...
common era
865 posts

Edited Oct 16, 2007, 17:30
Oct 16, 2007, 17:29
Gladwin wrote:
I do wish they could just do the job properly, once and for all. I can't see them putting out a second volume of "non-Peel sessions" which is infuriating!

For me one of the most annoying things is the tracks they left out. These sessions included other great songs like The Great Dominions, Screaming Secrets, Sex (Pussyface) and others.

This is annoying because the average audio cd can contain up to 80 mins of music and yet this cd is only 51 minutes.

Who decides these things? Bah!
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Oct 17, 2007, 09:30
common era wrote:
Gladwin wrote:
I do wish they could just do the job properly, once and for all. I can't see them putting out a second volume of "non-Peel sessions" which is infuriating!

For me one of the most annoying things is the tracks they left out. These sessions included other great songs like The Great Dominions, Screaming Secrets, Sex (Pussyface) and others.

This is annoying because the average audio cd can contain up to 80 mins of music and yet this cd is only 51 minutes.

Oh no! That is criminal! Screaming Secrets Peel session must have been, woa, around 82 (maybe 81). Remember i was blown away by it on Peel. Really must dig out those ol cassettes when i get time.
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Oct 17, 2007, 10:09
Nikinakinoo wrote:
common era wrote:
Gladwin wrote:

Oh no! That is criminal! Screaming Secrets Peel session must have been, woa, around 82 (maybe 81). Remember i was blown away by it on Peel. Really must dig out those ol cassettes when i get time.

If you want 'em converting to CDR, I can do the job...
Senior Gomez
Senior Gomez
54 posts

Oct 17, 2007, 12:55
I just bought mine in HMV for a tenner!

Buchanon sounds like a combination of Tiny Children, Head Hang Low and Mock Turtle, and as I haven't heard it for over 20 years it feel's like a new one to me.

I have always loved the versions of Bent out of shape and Disappear from view from these sessions, and having a copy of the Teardrops Better Scream at last is worth the money on it's own for me.

I agree though it's a shame about the Peel Great Dominions not making it - the early 'band' version of this is pretty dramatic, but luckily I have a excellent quality live version to fall back on. Wasn't the Peel version of screaming secrets like the one released on Zoology?

All the handwritten lyrics inside, and the beautiful technical data for the BV141 plane...brilliant stuff.

God though, how I love the Teardrop Explodes. I just can't tell you how much I love them.

I really, really want a Tee shirt with the Peel sessions sleeve on it. Now how do I get one of those made?

Gomez
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Oct 17, 2007, 13:21
the version of Screaming Secrets from Zoology IS the Peel Session, as a matter of fact most of the rare songs on Zoology are Peel sessions or BBC sessions.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index