72 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 26, 2007, 11:03
Re: YGPWM arrived
Jun 26, 2007, 10:08
Read Roy's piece and tell me there is not a comparison to be made on their respective treatment of these issues - on record and in print / prose.

The record is alright. Might be a grower. Hope so.

I'd prefer to love it and to come away feeling that a pretty smart man was holding smart opinions with more than "destruction and nihilism" in his back pocket as an alternative to (the horror!) organised religion (disorganised religion and personal experiences of faith are ok I presume?).

The answer to issues of centuries old complexity is not simplicity. Not outside the toy shop hall of mirrors that is rock and roll at any rate. I totally get despair and confrontation as a reaction to the world in which we live (and it's intolerable fixation with irony) but I would like something more poetic than that from those who can (how bourgeois of me!), something transcendent. Like 'Odin'.

Instumental records aside "Crying Shame", "Fear Loves This Place" etc are some of the finest poetical works in rock and roll. That's where the revelations lie and that's how you turn people's minds around. A bit more John Keats in leather trousers and a bit less Charlemagne is perhaps too much to ask. But I'll keep on asking.

What did rock and roll ever effect for the greater good except for when its platform has been directly co-opted by politicos? Nothing much springs to mind. "If we all join hands maybe we can stop the rain or whatever it is we are supposed to feign caring about this year". And it is still fucking raining from here to Hamas Central Office though never it seems where people really need it. Rock and roll barely stops the traffic these days let alone anything else.

Which rather begs the question and with which I'll bid you and this subject a long overdue adieu .
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index